Friday, March 18, 2011

Hong Kong for Business Day 14

Today started with early rise to speak to Travel one more time. I posted about that already. I ate breakfast and spoke to the hotel about extending my room for the two days that seemed apparent. After that I got to the office for what was an easy day. The second Friday of the class is typically a half day but since I handed them the tests the night before and they were able to do them overnight only a couple had to finish up some questions and they all handed them in really quickly. I graded the tests and finished off all the necessary paperwork. After that it was basically shaking hands and sending them on their way. I stuck around the office for a bit talking with the locals and helping clean up a little. After that I headed back to the hotel and then struck out for lunch where I ate dim sum at the hotel restaurant, suggested by the executive club manager. I chose 3 items: steamed pork shumai, a scallop and rice dumpling and steamed meatballs. They were all good and filling. I accompanied with Chinese tea. I was the only non-Asian in the place.  I am sure it was expensive for dim sum but all the same it was easier than trying the authentic solo.  After dim sum I went into the mall and had an ice cream at the Hagen Daz stand. I had Carmel Biscuit and Cream flavor. It was actually quite good.

After lunch I decided to head into Central station and figure out what to do. I was told I needed to ride the tram to the peak on the island.  When I got out of Central I was able to find the route to the tram via street signs. I walked to the tram and bought a round trip ticket. It rides up the mountain to the peak and then is sent right back down again, each direction filled with new passengers. The wait was less than 10 minutes. I think the ride was about 10 minutes.  When I got up their the bad weather was all you could really see. There is a mall up there but not with a ton of stores. The Madam Toussaud's is up there but I wasn't really interested in that.  There was no point in visiting the observatory in the pea soup out there but I did check out the whole mall which has a Bubba Gump and a Burger King amongst other things. Fortunately I had just eaten.  While up there I got in touch with Jack and he said his office was practically right at the tram station and I should call him when I got down. I did so and then met him at his office where I went up and saw the insides of Merryll Lynch/Bank of America for a short time before we headed out to get his wife and eat dinner.

We rode the train back to Tsim Sha Tsui and then walked a couple blocks to a Korean restaurant where we had barbecue including all sorts of stuff and probably too much.  I know there was beef plain and marinated. Seafood and tofu soup. Bacon. Noodles with black bean sauce. Beef tongue. I am sure there was more beyond that even not counting the generic sides like kimchi and such that are always there. The food was real good and I can say I ate too much. We  got a bottle of shochu which was a tad harsh and not really the best thing I have ever had to drink and some tea came with the meal.  After we were done we sent Angela back home in a cab and walked around to try to find Japanese baby formula for their daughter for a short time. Since the Japan crisis the stores have apparently been both rationing and gouging.  Most Hong Kong parents don't use Chinese formula. Most buy Japanese.  People are also trying to stockpile salt in case of radiation and also Japanese soy sauce and seaweed.  In any event we had no luck and after a bit we took the MTR back to Mong Kok station and he headed home as I headed to the hotel. It started to rain about the time we left Jack's office and it remained a steady drizzle throughout the evening. It definitely limited the desire to explore any more or to take pictures.

During the evening I spoke to travel and got confirmation of my flight to Boston on Monday. I get in around 7:30pm or so. So with the email I know for certain that I am booked. I know travel was working hard on it but it has been a bit frustrating to deal with while half a world and a whole clock away from home.

The few pictures from today are located here.

No comments: