Saturday, December 18, 2010

Belgium for Business Day 14

Last day of class started a bit rough with it snowing out and the trains being delayed a few minutes. Still I was able to get in about 10 minutes later than normal and before my students arrived anyway. The last day involves the test and they all passed but due to the weather and traffic we started later than I would have wanted to (most of my students were late arriving with taxi problems).  We did manage to finish up during lunchtime and some of them had to leave right away to pack and catch planes in the evening. At least not long after we started the test the weather cleared up, if it stayed very cold.

After the students were on their way I finished up my paperwork and cleaned up the equipment we used, making sure things were there and in their right place. Unfortunately the weather caused most of tech support out here to work from home today so there were few goodbyes when I left the office at about 3pm.  I managed to catch a train back to the hotel rather easily and relaxed and kept up on email for a couple hours until it was getting closer to dinner time.

At about 5pm I started on my way to downtown to do some souvenir shopping and eat dinner. I wandered around central Brussels for an hour or so then decided to eat at La Rose Blanche right on the main square.  I had a vegetable soup, cherry and beer braised duck and a Grimbergen Brun.  After the meal I had a dame blanche and a coffee. The dame blanche was interesting because I had to pour the chocolate sauce on myself.

After eating I walked around for a very few minutes doing some more souvenir shopping but with it getting to reasonably below freezing by that point I opted to go back to the room not long after.  At the room I watched a semi-amateur heavy-weight boxing tournament until it was time for bed. Semi-amateur because there was no headgear and there were only 3 rounds per match.  I think there were 8 boxers involved. Being heavy-weights it was awkward and clumsy.

I took a couple pictures today and they are posted here.

No comments: