Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Belgium for Business Day 11

Again with an early start I made it to the office before my students.  I managed to get no delays on my way in which is rare.  I am not sure if I have mentioned the penchant for the trains in Belgium to be late. I had assumed this would be more of an Italian or maybe Spanish thing or something but it is definitely something that happens a lot.  If you are waiting for an incoming train there is even a big red section that shows how many minutes late it is on the LCD boards that describe what the next train at the platform is going to be.  I am not sure if this is a good or a bad thing. It is an admission that the train is going to be late and deal with it. But I suspect a lot countries would never do such a thing at all and just keep the riders guessing. Either way today was one of the rare chances you get when the two trains you ride are both on time and your train journey is as short as it can be. It gave me a few extra minutes to prepare for class.

Class was still a bit abstracted as my typical agenda back home has a half day for someone from applications to teach something. I didn't have that luxury here and it meant I had to fill in a half a day with material I don't typically have.  I had an idea and I think I got it across but it was definitely not polished and it was filled with a couple mistakes that I wouldn't have made if I taught the material more regularly.  Ah well, I will have to write things up for my next class out here to use that time.

After class I just headed back to the hotel room and cooked yet again. My burger package had 2 in it and I had eaten one yesterday so today was the day to have the second. Not to be a total repeat of the day before I had an instant rice packet to go along. It was reasonable rice. I got the brown variety figuring it might have more flavor and nutritions. Probably it did have more flavor if only by a little anyway.  I finished off what was left of the bottle of wine as well, which wasn't a lot.  After dinner I settled in to watch a couple stand up comedy videos and then sleep for the night.

The picture of tonight's dinner (don't get it confused with last night's) can be found here.

No comments: