Saturday, May 21, 2011

The Other Thing About Trains Out Here

In Japan they have trains that are very on time. That much I have mentioned before I am sure and then I also have mentioned how cynical the train system here is that it actually has a box for how many minutes the train is going to be late right next to the expected arrival time if it has a sign for it.

The other issue I have also compares to Japan. The platforms are all neatly labeled as to which part of the platform will belong to which car and where the entrances will be. It appeared relatively similar in Hong Kong as well.  The really nice thing was that I could find the Green Car, or first class car, without much issue. Here in this part of the world it is a complete guessing game as to where a first class car is going to be. For my rides back and forth to the office I was on 2nd class cars. The same scheduled train every day had different setups for how the cars were laid out. When I was trying to find a first class car for my trip to Luxembourg I could not walk to one in time before the train shipped out. My suitcase was too much of a bother to try to get through the narrow aisles of the second class car trains so I just stayed in a second class car for a ride. If the platforms had been labeled or they used some sort of consistency I would not have had to guess and of course guess wrong...

No comments: