Friday, May 13, 2011

Belgium May 2011 Day 6

The first Friday of class. One week down and one week to go. Today went quite well. I got in early and fixed the main problem my fussy system was having thanks to parts that arrived the day before. It turned out to be a faulty board.  That done we were able to get through the lessons in a reasonable amount of time for the day and everyone was finished before their cab was to arrive.

After class I accompanied Livonet to downtown and we met up with James and Karim to eat dinner at a restaurant recommended by Melissa who works in the Belgian office.  The place was called the Spinnekopke or something similar to that and happened to be 2 streets over for the restaurant I had dinner at the night before. The name of this place means "The Little Spider" and it has a spider relief in the wall. The food was quite excellent and it was far enough off the main concourse that it was not overrun with tourists. I had a poached cod with cream sauce and boiled potatoes. Two of them had vol-au-vent and the last had a whole sole prepared with lemon.  The portions were good and the food was properly cooked. For an aperitif before we started we had a whitbeer with cherry liqueur in it. It was interesting and not as sweet as the Kriek we had the other night. I had a brun beer that was their house brand. I am not sure if the glass was the appropriate brand or not.  In any event the beer was also enjoyable. We followed up with coffee and dessert. I had coffee ice cream basically. It was very good ice cream also. So overall it was a top notch dining experience. There was a little hassle getting the bill split up but we managed it. Livonet also managed to have the place give her the tiny bottle they used for the cream for the coffee.  I would highly recommend this place.

After dinner I walked them in the direction of the train station. We had to walk slowly due to the cobble stones and Livonet's 3 inch high heels but eventually I dropped them off at the train station and headed back to the room arriving just as it was getting dark out. From there I opened up another Chimay blue and wrote this.  As class days go this was quite fun.

The pictures for today can be found here.

No comments: