Sunday, November 02, 2014

Peru Fall 2014 Day 9

We woke up rather late. I think I was still exhausted a bit. It was a full busy week with little sleep partially because of the early rising and partly because of the extreme heat making it hard for me to sleep at night.  In any event it took us a while to get going in the morning.  When we did we got cleaned up and headed to the market in Miraflores where we bought some rib-eye steaks and some chicken. Then we got on the Metropolitano and road to 2 de Mayo stop and then found a combi to take us to very near Daniela’s house. We were the first to arrive from the family and we got in to getting the grill going (good old fashioned charcoal). 

I was to be the grill master for the day. Daniela wanted to grill the potatoes we had so I started those first they took a very long time to cook and we even had to cut them in half and finish them off later but I was not surprised to this.  After her brother got more charcoal and Edwin came and gave us some of his fire making expertise we were able to then cook the steaks and the chicken and two kinds of sausage and I even was able to grill some onions because they have a flat surface side as well.  I think all the cooking probably took about 3 hour total.  Edwin made pisco sours.  Daniela and her mom prepared salads and eventually we had a grill feast.  The food was good I think.  Aside from the potatoes needing more time things went well. They had limited seasonings so I really just did salt on them and they used the various sauces to add flavor.  After everyone was mostly done eating they broke out the wine and beer. Wine for the women and beer for the men. We talked and listened to music and danced for most of the night and I think a couple people got really tipsy.


Daniela’s mom had made a cake and frosted it and her sister made some decorations for it and the presented me a birthday cake with an Avengers theme as we got close to the end of the night. It was very cute and the cake was very tasty.  I was impressed with the decorations and now I have several ceramic Avengers for my desk in the office.  When the cake was done everyone went their separate ways and Daniela washed all the dishes we had made dirty then we got a cab to the apartment and called it a night.

The pictures from today can be found here.

No comments: