Tuesday, November 04, 2014

Peru Fall 2014 Day 11

We woke up early so I could go to my first day of Spanish classes.  Well technically I woke up a bit early and Daniela was not too far behind.  We had a small breakfast of papaya juice, toast and coffee then got cleaned up and got to the Hispana school just in time for my class to start. Daniela dropped me off and headed to the office.

They put me in the beginner A class which is someone who is not yet conversant in Spanish. I am able to understand a fair amount but not so much as to have gotten into the next class up.  There are only 2 students in the beginner A class.  A Canadian man named Gordon who has been living in Lima for about a year and works as an engineer in a mining company and myself.  Gordon said his company works in English and his wife who also works there is able to speak Spanish so he has been able to sneak by without knowing any this whole time but I guess he realized that he was going to be in Peru for a while so it was time to try to learn English.

As soon as we began it was obvious that I was a bit ahead of him in the language and he decided he would add on the intensive 2 hours after lunch to help catch himself up.  We started with basics of the alphabet, verb conjugation and gender and plurality in speaking.  Thanks to Rosetta Stone I am familiar with a lot of the concepts but it was nice to be able to ask questions of someone instead of just going along with the computer.  So we started with llamar and followed with ser. Llamar is to call and is used for asking or giving your name and ser is to be but in Spanish there are two to bes and this one is for, "I am a teacher," or, "I am an American," as opposed to, "I am in the park."

The teacher is named Moises and is a bit older but is very patient and has a good attitude. He could see I was getting done the written exercises faster than Gordon so asked me other questions in Spanish along the way to see where I really was in comprehension.  The class ran from 9-1 with a 15 minute break at 11 where we had coffee.

After class I went to the office and picked up Daniela. Well technically she completed some work first then we took Donna to the bank and Daniela and I headed to the Canadian embassy so she could try to get a Canadian visa to travel there for Christmas.  We mainly had to drop off the paperwork at that point and it didn't really take that long to be done with that.  Again we headed to the office and picked up Donna and went to Papa John's for lunch. We split a pizza with Daniela's half being barbecue chicken Hawaiian and mine being called Espana which had olives, sausages and mushrooms at least.  It was actually quite good. Donna had chicken wings and one piece of my pizza.  When we were done and brought Donna back to the office the girls found out Pakita is leaving the gallery so they had a long sad conversation. I took the time to check up on some news and found out mayor Menino died which I am sorry to hear.

After we got back to the room we talked for a while and then watched the movie Grown Ups 2 at her request. As I expected it was mostly dumb but it had a couple of funny moments. She felt the same.  Anyway she was sad about Pakita leaving so it helped cheer her up. After the movie it was time for bed.

No pictures for today. Forgot to take pictures of the pizza... my bad.

No comments: