Saturday, November 08, 2014

Peru Fall 2014 Day 15

Once more it was up and ready in time for my last day of Spanish class for this trip. I had coffee and toast for breakfast along with some strawberry juice that Daniela made fresh.  From there it was straight on to class where we covered some new verbs and conjugation as well as a lot of review for the material we covered. Senor Moises believed probably I should have been in a class level higher than I was in but they weren't running a class of that level this time.  He felt I was familiar enough with Spanish that I needed to be more onto forced conversation which is probably true.  I am trying to introduce speaking things in Spanish to Daniela but it is definitely of the baby steps concept.  When class was over we said our goodbyes, wished each other good luck and I headed on to meet Daniela at the office.

We had to do some shopping so we did a quick draw of money (it is easier to bargain with cash than with credit cards at the markets and shops around here) then had a quick lunch at Subway before going to the craft market areas. Our goal was a sweater and a blanket made from alpaca. We shopped easily for a couple of  hour looking through a lot of little market areas just a little distance away from the Kennedy Park.  We finally bought what we needed for that aside from a replacement keyboard and mouse for her work computer because the transmitter from her wireless set died the previous day. She was very disappointed but we bought wired instead of wireless to try to avoid these issues.

We brought all the stuff back to the apartment spent a little time doing some work then got cleaned up and headed out to the restaurant La Gloria which is in Miraflores, again not too far from Kennedy Park.  It is just behind the Norky's off Pardo Avenue right near the roundabout.  La Gloria is supposed to be one of the 10 best restaurants in Lima.

When we entered we were brought to our reserved table and served an appetizer of gazpacho with a mussel in it along with some crusty bread. The gazpacho was very nice.  The bread was good though perhaps a teeny bit dry.  We got a bottle of Argentinian Merlot that was very nice and shared an appetizer of tuna tataki which was served with a white garlic sauce. This also was excellent.  After the appetizer Daniela had the roast suckling pig and I had the braised lamb shank. I will say that the only lamb shank on a similar level to this one I can remember having was the one I had across from the Louvre in Paris.  It was slow braised and the meat fell apart and right off the bone. There was no having to pull and tear to get the meat.  It was awesome. The wine sauce added a little bit of sweet but not too much. It was served with a baked onion which also added some sweet to the dish and was very nice, and also a boiled potato and mushroom side that was just sort of meh to me. I am not sure it was necessary on the dish and had little seasoning.  Of course the lamb and onion more than obscured the issues of the potato side.  Daniela's suckling pig was also slow roasted and tender and very tasty but was only lightly seasoned and served with sprouts and small marinated apple balls. It was very pleasant tasting and so soft.  I am very glad I got the lamb but I would not have been disappointed with the suckling pig.  For dessert I had what was termed a very special cappuccino which was a coffee ice cream with creme anglais, cocoa and little bits of chocolate on it. It was awesome.  Daniela got a baked apple with a yogurt foam and saffron ice cream. I could see her initial reaction as she tried the pieces individually but I suggested she mix them all together and try it and then she understood the dish and really enjoyed it.

After dinner it was back to the apartment for the night.

The pictures from tonight are located here.

No comments: