Monday, November 03, 2014

Peru Fall 2014 Day 10

We had a slow start to the day I think because of the late night at Daniela's house the day before.  We had a simple breakfast with the stuff we had already bought, Basically I made a grilled cheese sandwich and some instant coffee. Daniela still felt full from the night before she said so she just nibbled on what I made for me.

After breakfast we got cleaned up and headed back to the market where we went the night before.  This time it was for shopping for the apartment.  I really should have taken pictures of the market but I didn't want to look too much like a tourist.  It was a the natural market style rather than a supermarket. The kind with a lot of booths owned by different people selling various things. It is sectioned off into stalls of various concepts such as the spices area, vegetables area, meats area, chicken area, fruits area and so on.  We probably took about an hour searching out various things then started our way back to the apartment to drop off what we bought.

Daniela wanted to get some ceviche because it was Sunday and it was sunny out so we went to a restaurant called El Cumbre I believe.  It is a cash only place, no credit cards. It was very busy.  We had a quick snack of ceviche and I had a beer and Daniela had an Inca Cola.  The food was really good and they gave us banana chips and chancha as well.

On our way back we stopped at the supermarket to pick up a couple more things that we couldn't get in the real market. Then I set to a quick start of preparations for what I will call dinner and she would call lunch. After a while the Patriots game started and we were able to watch a Spanish language broadcast on Fox Sports 2 (Dos).  I found it strange they were playing a CBS broadcast but I was happy for it anyway.  The Patriots versus the Broncos is the premier game of the week and it was great to be able to see it because of that. It was a slow start for the pats but as soon as they took over the game there was no looking back in their 43-21 route of the Broncos.  Manning was intercepted twice as is normal for his games against the Patriots or I could say Los Patriotas.  I started the actual cooking at half time and we finished the game by eating our lunch or dinner as you prefer.

For dinner I made a spaghetti with garlic and oil sauce that was filled with shredded leftover pollo ala brasa from Pardo's the other day.  In addition I also used some onion, salt, pepper, oregano, fresh parsley and a little bit of lemon juice. I think I should have skipped the lemon juice though because I think it killed the flavor of the garlic and limited the salt a bit too much.  In any event I think it came out nice enough that we both ate all of it.  Daniela would have preferred hers with a little less olive oil but I didn't want the pasta to be too dry. I totally forgot to take a picture of it.  When the game was almost over I served us each a piece of the birthday cake we had brought back from the night before that her mother made. We also had a glass each of red wine with the pasta (it was not a great choice of wine it seems and maybe we'll use it for cooking) and  a cup of instant coffee with the cake.  We did buy real coffee so the instant stuff should be done for the rest of the trip, whew.

When the game was over and everything was cleaned up we went through all the pictures we took during the first week of the trip and then spent a little longer before calling it a night.

The two pictures from today are here.

No comments: