Thursday, June 19, 2014

APAC Training Trip 2014 Day 27 - Hong Kong Day 9

I woke up on time without much issue and got to breakfast probably only a few minutes after Don. We ate and left a bit closer to leaving time than we had other than the day before. I think Don just wanted the day over. We arrived just in time for class and I started my teaching with half of his class again (2 of his students had already been through this segment). This carried them through lunch where we were taken to the barbecue place again. This time I had a fried pork chop curry.  It was good.  After lunch it was back to class where Don finished out his day early but I stayed to help perform upgrades so that I left at about 5:10.  I got back to the room and Daniela had left me a note that she went to visit the ambassador to Peru in Hong Kong for dropping off some stuff. So I got dressed and headed to the lounge where I had a beer and a half until she arrived.

After she arrived we quickly got ready and headed to Hong Kong island. We decided to take the free shuttle from the hotel to Tsim Sha Tsui and then we walked to the Star Ferry and took the ferry to Central. From there we took a cab to Chicha, a Peruvian restaurant, well we sort of took a cab. The driver got us to the correct street but not in the right place. This meant that he couldn't get to the right place without a ton of extra driving (this street is sort of a pedestrian street that has lots of breaks with stairs). So he didn't charge us but we gave him a couple Hong Kong dollars for his efforts then used the GPS on the phone to find the place which turned out to be a fair walk downhill away.

The place is named Chicha and the head chef is a Peruvian named Arturo. When he found out a real Peruvian was in the restaurant he came out to greet us and provided suggestions for the food. He was very nice and very funny but also very on the other side of the field, if you understand me. It was sort of funny.  He and Daniela talked for a bit while he explained his menu and what was best. We got several things. Ceviche of course. Daniela would murder someone if she didn't get ceviche here.  Also a causa sampler with 3 types. There was a Aji de Gallina  version, a fried fish and shrimp version and I am not really sure what the last one was. We had some awesome cod anticuchos.  There was also a tiradito that Daniela loved but I was not as fond of. Then later came the pan con chicharon.  Oh yes and we had a couple of pisco sours and I had a San Miguel because they ran out of Cuscena. She tried another pisco drink that had avocado in it that I tasted and believe it is one of the worst things I have tasted in a long time. Also they made a mistake so we ended up with a different pisco based cocktail that was better. For dessert I had Suspena de Limena which is a caramel and meringue dessert and she tried their picarones but didn't like them. They were too heavy for her.  We talked to the chef for a bit after we finished. He had finished for the night too. Then we walked around central a bit. It started to rain and the humidity got terrible.  We walked to central train station and rode back to the hotel by the Prince Edward stop where we called it a night.

The pictures from Hong Kong day 9 are here.

No comments: