Wednesday, June 18, 2014

APAC Training Trip 2014 Day 26 - Hong Kong Day 8

The alarm didn't go off because the cell phone was turned off which meant that I didn't wake up until 45 minutes after I was supposed to. Still this was fortunately early enough for me to get showered and get into the lounge to get a quick breakfast. Don was already there.  After the small breakfast I had to run to get a few more HK dollars for some tasks we had and Don and I agreed to meet at the elevator after I ran into the subway station and then back to the room. I managed this easily and got back and Don took a few minutes more than I did. We ended up getting to the office just barely on time. The class carried until lunchtime very easily then they took us to Ocean Blue again and I this time had a Korean stone bowl of beef with vegetables an egg and rice. You pour the spicy chili sauce into the bowl and mix it all up. It was very tasty. I enjoyed it a lot. Back to class I carried until about 5:15. Don had to leave earlier so I got to the hotel on my own.  I met Victor briefly at the train station and then headed back.

At the hotel Daniela wasn't around. She had changed rooms but Joi gave me the new room card so I was all set. I got showered and met Don in the lounge and we waited for Daniela. She showed up a few minutes later and got ready herself then we took the subway (East Line to West Line to Tsim Sha Tsui East then walked underground to Tsim Sha Tsui. We had to guess a little bit and Don asked some locals where the place was and we were eventually guided to the correct building and got our way in only a few minutes late for our 7:30 meeting time.

Victor and his wife Jessie were already there and seated and the hostess brought us to them. When we got there Victor ordered a bottle of wine and started ordering various types of food. The restaurant was called Ye Shanghai and specializes in food from the region around Shanghai.  All of the food was really excellent. Victor said the restaurant has a Michelin 1 star and it showed.  Things he ordered: crispy fried eel, seaweed salad, drunken chicken, beef spareribs, a chicken and pine nut mixture that was eaten inside pastry shells, sweet and sour fish, marinated green beans, spicy tofu with cashew nuts and a stuffed crab shell that had a crabmeat and egg white concoction inside. Nothing was too far out of range for scaring us and it was all very tasty and well prepared. They didn't order any soup or noodles or rice which was fine.  We talked a little bit about work and a little bit about other things and it was a very pleasant evening. Victor and Jessie will be married for 38 years on Friday of this week, so a day after classes are over.  They have 2 sons in the US in Ohio and 2 granddaughters too. So they had just come back from visiting them.

After dinner was over we walked back to the subway station and rode back to the hotel where I was dead exhausted and we called it a night.

The pictures from Hong Kong day 8 are found here.  Unfortunately I was late on remembering to take pictures at dinner.

No comments: