Friday, June 22, 2012

Peru 2012 Day 6

I generally do not get sick often if at all but I have to admit something is going on from last night to today.  I have a headache and felt either cold or hot throughout the night. Not something I am used to. I also had an intestinal clean before I went to bed that was a bit unpleasant. I cannot say what happened. I have been generally eating at decent places. Perhaps the lettuce from the burger? Hard to say.  I woke up on time and got cleaned up and gathered some clothes to send to laundry so I would be able to rewear them for next week and then headed down to drop them off at the desk and wait for my ride. As is typical Luis was late. I suspect he has never been on time for anything in his life. For me it is a need to be perpetually early. This generally means I am standing outside 20-30 minutes on average waiting for my ride. Cesar had to take a bus to the highlands to fix a system so was not around.  We got to the office and continued with the procedures we had not finished due to not having the correct cable. This unfortunately took me to later than I wanted but when we were done with that we started on our next lecture and task. The lecture took us to lunch time and I am mostly running into issues with Luis not being very rapid about getting anywhere.

We first took two of the students to their old office, the one they are moving out of soon, and then we had to pick up his 3 year old daughter from school and bring her to his house. Then he went in search of a restaurant that he could not find and decided instead to bring me to a restaurant all the way across town. The restaurant was the Chifa Modena China. Chinese of course. I had some white rice and beef with bean sprouts accompanied by jasmine tea (trying not to be too adventurous in case my stomach erupted) and Luis ordered a lot of food.  There was also a sweet radish appetizer he ordered. I had some of that because I figured it was safe too. Among all the time it took us to get around and to get the food and to eat we didn't get back to the classroom until an hour after we were supposed to. Typically I wouldn't mind so much but the students won't do anything at all without me there. So they just sat around while we were late. This mean that where we might have finished at a reasonable hour we no longer had that option. Instead we decided to break it off earlier and restart where we left off on Monday. Luis took Carlos to the warehouse on our way back to the hotel and we took yet another route to return there.

Once again I got myself unloaded of stuff and cleaned up and headed down to Larcomar for dinner. This time I decided to try Portofino which is right next door to Vivaldino a small bit further away from the crowded din.  It was a bit expensive for Lima but I ordered the Cordero Lumbrusco which was a lamb shank braised in red wine sauce. It was accompanied with a wild mushroom risotto. I also had a couple beers. This brand was new to me. It was called Pilsen Callao. It also appeared to be Peruvian based on the label. I think Cuscena is better though.  The lamb and risotto were both excellent but there was far too much of it and I didn't finish either. Nonetheless I enjoyed it immensely. It was not as good as the lamb shank at Carousel across from the Louvre but it was really good nonetheless.  After finishing dinner it was pretty much just the walk back to the hotel to relax and recover a bit from the hectic week.

The pictures from today can be found here.


No comments: