Thursday, June 21, 2012

Peru 2012 Day 5

Today started reasonably on time though the cab that brought us to the office took a completely different route than any other one we had taken. Truthfully each ride to the office has been different and I've seen a lot of different areas of the city just by sitting in the various cabs with Cesar. This ride had us going through an area that was obviously much poorer than most of the ways we had been taking. There were areas where a lot of the road was broken up and also there was definitely some form of outdoor market that we passed that looked like it was geared towards the poorer locals (definitely not the touristy Night Market from Hong Kong).  Class started ok and we carried through to lunch time without much issue (though I realized I had forgotten an important cable for the process).

Again Luis took me to lunch but this time we went to a mall more in the downtown area. This after we took a taxi to their old office because that was where his car was then another detour to his house so he could take a pill for a toothache he said. After that we went to the mall. This was definitely a nice mall but made for the locals and not for tourists. It was sort of like going to the Burlington Mall or perhaps more like going to the mall that my hotel was on top of in Hong Kong.  He took me to the very Peruvian restaurant Pizza Hut. It is more of a sit down restaurant here like it was in Hong Kong. He ordered me a lucuma drink (it is a Peruvian fruit. Very sweet and pulpy. The drink was thick. I liked it I will admit. He ordered an appetizer that had a chili chicken stuffed into a cannelloni.  The chicken was Peruvian in concept but with the pasta it was fused with Italian food. I ordered the Lasagna Bologneso which is a typical meat lasagna for the meal. It was probably a bit too much food but on top of that we got ice cream from a place called 4D.  It was just out in front of the restaurant in the mall. After eating it was back to the office to finish up the day of class.

Of course the missing cable was not easily provided so we had to do some other stuff until Cesar brought in one that we needed and we were able to figure out some software compatibility issues as well.  This did put us behind for the day but not significantly enough for me to be worried. The class has a bit of extra time built into it compared to the standard class we would give at home so things can be made up along the way.

Luis took a completely different route back to the hotel which took a bit longer than the other ways we had gone. I was fairly tired and my knees were a bit sore from crouching to make some things we were using work correctly and I didn't really feel like doing too much. After settling back in for a while I decided today was the day to try the McDonald's down the street.  It is about a 5 minute or less walk and it appears to always be crowded. However when I got there I really noticed how crowded it was. The lines for the registers were many people deep and I choice not to go there after all. This meant I instead walked all the way back down to Larcomar which in some respects was probably a good idea because my knees felt better after the stretch out.  I still decided to eat fast food however and opted for a local chain called Bembos. I think in the long run this was the mistake of my night. I got a doble queso, which of course is a double cheeseburger, with a small fries and a small Sprite. The fries were reasonably ok and Sprite is basically Sprite anywhere. The issue was with the burger which tasted microwaved and had some rather unpleasant tasting lettuce on it. Even after removing the lettuce I still only managed to eat about half of the burger. Deciding my night was basically a failure I just turned around and walked right back to the hotel for an early night.

The few pictures from today, all of food, are located here.

No comments: