Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Peru 2012 Day 11

Today they wanted to start later because Cesar, Luis, Hubert and myself had a very late night so would be tired. I didn't mind that so much even though I typically wake up at the same time anyway.  It meant at least I could relax for a little bit longer before I had to put my nose to the grindstone and today was some of the more tedious stuff for the students to learn.  I got downstairs at the required time but waited much longer than even the worst I had waited before these two weeks. When Luis arrived to pick me up he told me that he was getting ready to go when he fell asleep on the couch for a few extra minutes.  He apologized profusely but it was ok by me.  At the office we started basically right away as all the students were there and I of course arrived late.  We set right to it and our work carried us straight till lunch time. The students apparently had to go buy new uniform clothes for some pictures to be taken on Thursday so they might be a little bit long in coming back. Luis had to pick up his daughter from school before he took me out then we had to drop her off at his home before he took me to the same mall we ate at Pizza Hut before and this time we ate at a Longhorn. I will say it had the same logos and such but it did not remind me of the Longhorns I've been to in the US at all. I ordered a coca cola and lomo fino with spaghetti al pesto.  Luis also ordered an appetizer of salmon carpaccio.  Everything was very good but between the pasta and the beef (lomo fino is basically something similar to a beef tenderloin I think) I got filled up very fast and didn't really finish.  The prices there were among the highest I have seen for food in Lima.  I cannot say I am surprised with the fact they serve US beef as well as local (I assume Argentinian) beef.  The US beef was very expensive. While we ate we got to watch the first half of the Spain and Portugal Euro Cup match.  It was very bad as neither team played well in my opinion. Especially Espana.

After lunch it was back to the office. The students were supposed to show up about 15 minutes after us but it was more like an hour and 15 minutes.  I was not thrilled with this obviously but there was little I could do. In my opinion Luis had added downtime basically every day for the students making them wait for me to return from lunch so I can't really say much about it honestly.  We started in as soon as they all returned and worked until almost 6pm with what we needed to finish for the day. From there Luis had already left for a meeting so Cesar took me via cab back to the hotel.

After settling in for a few minutes I decided to try to call Daniela as she had given me her number on the weekend.  We chatted for a few minutes and set up a meeting on Friday to have lunch before I go. Friday, as I mentioned is a holiday here so she has the day off from work but she was willing to take a ride to Miraflores to meet up with me. I think we are going to have sushi so I can teach her something about it.  We have to meet in, "the park with the cats."

After the call I basically headed out the door to Larcomar and ate for a third time at Cafe Cafe. Having liked their food the most of all the places around Miraflores I've tried I decided I may as well stay with a good thing.  This time I ordered a Cuscena and the chicken Maryland which is a breaded chicken with cream corn (our style not Peruvian style) and bacon on it.  That came with a large dose of french fries too.  It was good but I think I was a bit more full from lunch than I expected to be and didn't end up finishing it.  There was a lot there, especially the fries. There were also two fried plantains but I stayed away from those because I went to the doctor a couple weeks before I left and was told my potassium was high.  Better to be safe than sorry. After dinner it was back to the hotel to make an early night of it.  Tuesday was a very long day and I need the rest from it still. Small piece of irony that I hadn't yet mentioned. The two longest days of my stay here were Sunday with all the tours and Tuesday with the class then work on a local site.  In both occasions my neighbors woke me up at 2:30am by noisily have fun (nudge, nudge, wink, wink, this is a family blog after all).  With an already short night each night and a need to be up in the morning for work I was not really thrilled with either event. At least they were very quick both times (not romantic really I guess).

The pictures of today's food are located here.

No comments: