Thursday, June 28, 2012

Peru 2012 Day 12

I guess Wednesdays in Lima are bad days for me because as I recall it was last Wednesday I had stomach problems and they resurfaced overnight before today.  I ended up spending a fair portion of the night in the bathroom and I felt like hell whether I was able to sleep or not. I am not one who typically gets sick so this is all very strange to me.  Not very happy with it I didn't really manage to get much sleep and I think I may have had a fever or something like that because I was cold and my eyes were burning all night and into the day.  I really didn't want to take a shower when I had to but of course I did. I went downstairs a bit later than I typically would but of course Luis was even later than normal so I stood outside with my very heavy backpack weighing down on me for nearly 40 minutes I think.  When Luis picked me up I told him I would need some medicine for my stomach. He drove me to the office then went out to get me some stomach and flu drugs. He thinks it is a flu because of the headache and maybe fever.  It could be food related. I am not sure really.

We started class and I had a hard time getting out of my chair at times because I felt wobbly.  Unfortunately this material is among the most boring that the class has to offer and on top of it neither Luis nor Cesar was there to translate if needed for the first bit of it. I have to admit I had little motivation to complete out the day the way I felt and was immediately thinking of nothing more than going back to the hotel room and getting back in bed.  I had to worry about being mostly healthy for Daniela on Friday as well so I would have preferred to not kill myself today.  All the same, the class was why I was here so it came first. Luis brought me some tea and some pills that could have been the brown acid for all I could tell by look. The names meant nothing to me but he assured me they were what I needed so being a trusting fool I took them. My main hopes were that they would keep me out of the bathroom. I am fairly certain I got cleaned out completely throughout the night before but drinking water could cause me to have to deal with it even.  It certainly felt like that might be happening.  In fact it did happen as I got lucky that Luis went out and bought some toilet paper while we were working and I ended up having to duck into the bagno and find that somehow there was still more inside me than I thought possible.  In any event the bathroom isn't the cleanest but it is by no means scary so I had no choice but to use it. We went through till lunch time then I was taken back to my hotel to rest for an hour or so because of how I felt rather than being taken to lunch. There is no way I could eat anything anyway.  After Luis picked me up from the hotel we headed straight back to the office and finished out the remaining bit of class they had.  I did try to have some soda crackers and water though I was afraid to move to upset any balances.

Oh by the way the people who clean my room apparently managed to break the flusher handle on my toilet during the past couple days. I know I used it a lot last night but it was broken on Tuesday when I got back really late. It was then broken further on Wednesday when I got back to the hotel from the office.

We finished up later than I would  have preferred and I packed up and said goodbye to the students and Cesar took me back to the hotel. I took a few minutes to get settled and then it was basically right to bed.

No lunch. No dinner. Basically just a picture of the broken toilet today.

No comments: