Thursday, June 21, 2012

Peru 2012 Day 4

Today did start a bit more on time than the day before. Cesar got to the hotel around 8:10 which isn't bad considering and we made it to the office by 8:30. The main session for the morning was about teaching the students Unix. It is mildly humbling to talk about stuff like Unix to people who barely understand you. I won't even go into the idea of not being able to use my sense of humor. Completely lost in the translation so I don't even bother. After the students were done with the labs we split up and some of them were going to fix some customer problems and Luis and I were to go next door to a customer to look at one of their systems. I had already diagnosed one problem and put in the fix for that and found out another would require a software update but of course 2 problems turns into 3 automatically so we had to gather more for troubleshooting and talk to a few people. In all we were there for well over an hour and then we rushed off to lunch.

Luis took me back to the same restaurant in Larcomar (I suspect he likes it). This time I found out it was called Vivaldino.  I had their Lomo Saltado which is basically a beef stew like dish with onions, tomatoes and a brown sauce.  They serve that with fries and rice. I believe the chicken dish I had at the hotel a couple nights before was the chicken version of the same dish. I had had Lomo Saltado before on my first trip. It is good but not very exciting to the palate. He also ordered a potato and fish appetizer that had more octopus, shrimp and tuna. That was tasty but very filling.  I also tried the Peruvian version of Coca Cola. It tasted about the same as I always remember it. After that we rushed back to the office for the second half of the class to get some stuff done. Of course the students trying to fix things were late and that gave me the opportunity to write this part of the day out.

When they got back we really didn't have a lot of time unless we wanted to keep them there all night. I tried to get done a few things that would be good to make sure they were done before we did some other parts of the class but my test equipment ran out of battery (thankfully) and we decided to stop before it got too terribly late. Luis drove me back to the hotel and I tied up a few things then headed back down to Larcomar. The weather was quite nice with a reasonable breeze that I really enjoyed (yes a lot of people were in sweaters or jackets and me in my short sleeves). I did a couple spins around the mall having a tough time deciding what I wanted. I think I mostly did not want anything that looked too involved and short of fast food it did not look like I was going to have that happen unless I went to Friday's or Chili's, neither of which are a possibility in my book. Finally I decided on the Tony Roma's which is probably just as bad but since I have never eaten at one before I felt a little less sad about it. I wanted something simple and had a Cuscena or 2 and a turkey and ham panini with fries.  Mostly American I am sure but simple. It was actually still too filling for what I wanted. In any event I enjoyed it. Maybe if we had eaten lunch before 3:00pm I would have felt different for my choices.

After the dinner I pretty much just headed straight back to the hotel to crash for the evening. It felt like a long day.

The pictures from today can be found here.

No comments: