Monday, November 11, 2013

Peru Fall2013 Day 19

We woke up at 3:30am to get ready to go to the airport. Daniela had already arranged a taxi to pick us up and he was waiting outside by the time we were cleaned up and packed to go.  The drive to the airport had no traffic and check in was fairly quick.  Daniela waited for me and we had a coffee and donut from Dunkin Donuts (well she had a hot chocolate).  Then I did a small amount of gift shopping before heading into the security area after a sad goodbye.

The flight ticket said boarding started at 5:15am but of course it wasn’t boarding at 5:20 when I got in nor at 5:45 as I started writing this.  It did not say the flight was late however.  The airplane arrived at 5:45 so I hoped we would start boarding by 6:15 for a 7:03 departure.  That did actually happen and we were off the gate earlier than I expected. All the same we taxied for a long time and it was 7:15 before takeoff. 

The flight itself was very bumpy. One of the most bumpy flights I can recall being on. They played Pacific Rim but I was asleep for the start and the screen was tiny so I didn’t really decide to watch it for real. I was looking at the screen on occasion and I suppose I could explain the plot but I didn’t hear any of the dialogue or anything.  They served breakfast (which is what woke me up) which I chose pancakes. It also had fruit salad of papaya and watermelon, an apple cinnamon cereal bar and a roll. I had apple juice and coffee (though he barely gave me any coffee).   We landed at about 10:30 and I was off the plane by maybe 10:45.  They opened up the back door of the plane as we were waiting exit from the front and it was obvious how hot it was in Panama.  The next flight was already supposed to be boarding according to the boarding pass but of course after I raced over to the gate it was not yet doing so. 

They had a small security check at the gate where you had a metal detector and xray machine. I assume because US security requires it.  Still there was no line as the passengers were slowly trickling in. The flight crew arrived just a few minutes after I did.  We boarded not long after that and since this flight was probably only about 1/3 full we actually closed the door and departed early. For this flight I also had the whole row to myself.  This flight had only a couple small bumps. I watched a travel feature on Toronto. Listened to some music, ate only a little of the pasta they served and did actually watch Pacific Rim which is the movie they also showed on this flight too. I liked it and would like to watch it on a real TV rather than a slightly distant small screen with the woman in front of me opening the window and washing it out with glare every 15 minutes or so.  It was not anything high art but it was basically enjoyable. We landed in Boston a bit early. I used my global entry at the kiosk but it probably wasn’t necessary as we were the only international flight arriving at that time it appeared.  I texted David at the baggage claim and he was waiting at the cell phone lot. It probably took 15 minutes for the bags to get through then customs and out the door. The traffic home wasn’t even that bad. 

The cold that started in the early morning felt even worse by the time I got home so I ate dinner then basically went to bed without unpacking.

No pictures taken today.

I have to say that the wedding, which was the purpose of the trip, went off perfectly. I think that the weather was nice and the ceremony and party afterward were both great. I am so happy that I have married the beautiful Daniela. I only hope the process for getting her American residence goes as easily and we can really start to begin our lives together as a married couple soon.

The bad news of course is that it will still be some weeks before we have the official marriage certificate to begin that process.  I really love Peruvian bureaucracy… 


No comments: