Sunday, November 03, 2013

Peru Fall 2013 Day 10

We woke up again at a stupidly early hour and were out the door to our transfer van by 4am.  The ride to the train station at Ollantaytambo was probably an hour and a half or so and I slept through almost all of it.

The train was basically boarding when we got there and it departed at 6:10am I think. The train ride was slow but nice. I stayed awake for the whole ride. We were in a panoramic car which has windows at the top too so you could see more. They served a drink and a snack. I had a coca tea (though I suppose I shouldn’t have) and a muffin.  The ride took also probably about an hour and forty-five minutes.  We arrived in Aguas Calientes at a little bit before 8am.  We met our guide Patrick at the entrance to the train station.

Patrick loaded us onto a bus and we took the half hour ride to Machu Picchu directly after getting off the train.  The weather was nice at this point but with a bit of clouds around. Patrick was a good guide. He had a funny and dramatic way of saying everything. And everything was “the famous Machu Picchu” and “the famous Inkas” and “the famous whatever”.   It was really quite amusing. He explained about the general layout. We saw the Sun Temple, the Sun Dial, the Condor, the arena and pretty much everything. Where this was my second time through Machu Picchu I wrote all this up before and I don’t really have the time to go over it all again.  Please reference my earlier post from my trip in 2009 for the details.  Towards the end of the tour it started to rain a little bit and it picked up a bit more as we rode the bus back down to Aguas Calientes.

At Aguas Calientes most of us went to Indio Feliz which is a French and Peruvian fusion restaurant owned by a Frenchman.  I had a set menu which started with Creole soup, pepper chicken with a pisco sauce and an apple pie with custard and ice cream (I think the ice cream was actually grapefruit sorbet).

After lunch we got to the train and it was another hour and forty-five minute ride to Ollantaytambo. There we exchanged to our van for another hour and forty-five minute ride. We had to stop for a few minutes because George didn’t feel well.

By the time we got back to Cusco it was pouring rain out. Everyone got situated and then we bade them a farewell as we walked up to Plaza San Blas and had a coffee and soup before heading back to the room and getting some sleep for the night. I am not sure what time it stopped raining but the whole time we were out it as a solid cold rain and even with the umbrella we got soaked. The coffee and the soup were both very good.


The pictures from today are located here.

No comments: