Sunday, November 03, 2013

Peru Fall 2013 Day 11

We got to wake up a bit later than the previous two days but still it was not really late.  Daniela, her mom and I got out of the hotel at about 7:15 and walked to the Plaza de Armas to take a few pictures. We are also able to visit a church that was open that early on the way as well as sit in for a couple of minutes at the mass in the cathedral. We headed back to the hotel by 8:20 and had a quick breakfast and before you knew it the van was arriving for the transfer to the airport. 

This time the plane was only about an hour late which is certainly much better than my previous record for the trip but still it was late. In the airport everyone did a little of souvenir shopping and George and I had empanadas from the snack shop. Mine was accompanied by a coffee.  The moved our gate in the process but the domestic flight area is so tiny in Cusco it really didn’t matter.

The flight itself was short and easy. I sat next to Sara and Sue and we talked the whole time. They served a ham and cheese sandwich with a dulce de leche cookie as a snack for the flight.  Since no one checked luggage disembarking was easy.  Our transfer van was a few minutes late but not really by much. We drove to Daniela’s house and picked up everyone’s luggage then drove to the Hotel Arawi where everyone else would be staying for their last night in Peru.  At the hotel we had lunch. I had a hamburger which was a bit overcooked for my taste, but probably it was safer that way. Daniela snuck out and brought in a birthday cake while we waited and we had that before she and I had to rush out the door and into a taxi back to her house.

We rushed through a very quick repacking while the taxi waited then immediately raced to the airport. The driver was a champion at getting around and  through Lima traffic and every second helped.  Daniela raced in for check in while I dragged the luggage in. The security guard at the door followed me to Daniela who had my passport for check in to make sure I was really who I was. We ran through the airport to security and rushed through that as best we could. Fortunately the domestic lines were not long still.  Then I chased Daniela to the gate where we were sent to a wrong gate and then had to run back to board just at last call.  I do not know if we could have cut it any tighter.

I didn’t stop sweating from all the running and carrying baggage until probably half way through the flight. It probably didn’t help the air wasn’t blowing too hard at first. I was able to sleep a little bit and had tea for my service in the flight. The flight itself was uneventful with only a couple very small bumps. 

When we got to Piura we had to call the hotel for advice on how to get there. We took a taxi to a “bus stop” where we signed on for a combi ride to Mancora. The bus had to fill up before they would depart. When we signed on there were two more spaces after us to fill up. They did but the two guys were armed with a bag of beer. Daniela put up a small protest but fortunately they weren’t really drunk and obnoxious after all.  The drive was 3 hours long in a cramped van. Because my bag had the laptop I kept it on my lap the whole ride as there was nowhere else inside to fit it and we didn’t want to put it on top like the rest of the baggage. I was able to sleep some of the ride. I thought I was going to be a bit nauseous during a couple spans where the driver took some switchbacks very rapidly but I did survive it after all.

We made it to the hotel at about midnight or just a little after and the attendant checked us into our bungalow.  We did a quick unpacking and then it was immediately to bed.


The pictures from today are found here.

No comments: