Monday, April 15, 2013

Peru Spring 2013 Day 17


The day started very early at 5am with getting cleaned up and packed even though we had a very late night the night before.  We had to leave the apartment. Daniela to go home and myself to get on my way back to Boston.   We had a taxi sent to bring us to the airport for 6am and we were out the door on time.  With a brief stop at her house to drop off her luggage we made it to the airport quickly because there was no traffic on a Sunday morning.  Unfortunately things were not as quick in the airport.  I did manage to run into one of my students from the last trip to Peru before I found my check-in line.

Check in took about 50-55 minutes. Daniela waited for me.  It was a long line.  Then we went in to the shopping area pre-security and bought some coffee at the McDonald’s and did a little bit of gift shopping.  We spent a couple minutes saying our good-byes before I was going through security.  Security wasn’t really bad, the line was short.  But the passport control on country exit had a very long line and by the time I was finally through it I had about 15 minutes to board the plane. I think I got to the gate about 10 minutes to spare and honestly the flight attendant asked my name because I was obviously later to get to the plane and they were looking for missing passengers. I should point out the flight was actually run by LAN and not American though I booked through American.

The plane was a Boeing 767-300 and I think as usual it was full.  I was supposed to be on a window seat but fortunately a guy on the inner aisle wanted to sit next to his wife who would have been next to me so I got an aisle seat anyway.  The plane actually had proper in seat entertainment systems and before we even took off I started watching The Life of Pi.  It was a reasonably OK movie and I would say it is worth watching without saying it was the greatest movie I ever have seen.  During the movie they served a breakfast but I only ate the breads and not the omelet  and had some coffee.  After the first movie was over I sort of watched The Adventures of Tin Tin but I did fall asleep during it a little bit.  I can see why it wasn’t that big in the US. It was a bit too scattered and predictable for my taste even if it was directed by Spielberg, co-written by Steven Moffat  and co-produced by Peter Jackson.  When they came around for the snack I guess I really woke up and watched it to the end though I missed a bit of the beginning.  It wasn’t bad I think.  After that was over I knew I had only an hour or so so I chose to put on Despicable Me (because I had seen it before) and it became background noise for me to fall asleep again until just a couple minutes before landing.

At Miami I used Global Entry to bypass the huge passport control lines and then had to wait a bit for the suitcase to come through.  Passing through customs was a few questions but no searches and was easy.  Then I had to recheck my bag and get across the airport to the American concourse which is D from I.  At concourse D I had to recheck into security and then I had to take a skytrain to the correct gate area.  When I got to the gate I found the Islander Bar and Grill and had a couple Bass Ales and a bacon cheeseburger (welcome back to the states).   I wanted a Sam Adams honestly but they didn’t have anything but Bass and crummy beers so I took what I could get.  I had 3 hours from the time I got to the security check in before I was to fly so I took my time then headed back to the gate and wrote a couple of the posts while I had some time.

The flight to Boston was on a 757 and I was moved around to allow another couple to sit together but I ended up on a window seat this time.  The flight was less bumpy than the one to Miami and I slept through most all of it I think.  The plane landed about 10:45pm. I think my bag may have been placed on an earlier flight because it did not come off the belt. Instead it was in a holding area.  My TSA lock was missing when I got home.  It took a while to find the bag. I had a Flightline van with a switch at 125 reaching home at about 12:30.  Thoroughly exhausted I headed to bed straight away.

There were no pictures from day 17.

No comments: