Saturday, October 24, 2009

Peru Day 1 Part 2

I went back to the room and relaxed for a while and watched a couple soccer matches. Neither were South American. One was European premier league and one was MLS. Anyway, that killed enough time that I was ready to search out dinner. I walked back downtown (which isn't far) and did a loop of the main square. On the first pass I saw a place called the Inka Grill which had a couple people in it. I did the second loop around to there and decided that was where I would eat. I ordered the alpaca medallions with quinoa as a side. By the time I started eating some more folks came in and the couple next to me who were a brother and sister pair who were native Peruvians from Lima that grew up in England and now the sister lives in Montreal and the brother in NYC asked me what I was eating and I told them it was alpaca. She decided to order it too. Due to their makeup it was impossible to tell their accents. Sitting just beyond them was a pair of women probably in their 50s from Montreal. So for the rest of the evening we all talked about various things. All four of them were very nice people and it was fun to talk hockey in Peru out of nowhere.

To the food. The alpaca was very tender. It had a slightly gamey taste but not overpowering. They didn't ask me how I wished it cooked but I got it basically almost medium rare leaning a tad bit more to the medium side. I really liked the taste. The quinoa was interesting. It was sort of like a fibrous couscous. I suspect it was cooked in a broth. I went against suggestions and had one solitary glass of merlot. I ended up having their dulce delice for dessert as well and it was very good. Not too sweet with sauces of strawberry and pineapple on the side. Paired with a decent coffee it was altogether a very meal.

From the restaurant I got back to the roo at about 8pm and watched boxing for about a half an hour before I decided I was passing out and went to bed.

Oh, I almost forgot to mention this. One of the stations on TV is NHK which is Japan's national television station. I thought it was funny.

1 comment:

Gary Savard said...

You missed a great Bruins/Senators game, under a minute and a half to go in the 3rd, B's down 3 to 1, they score 2 goals, Bergeron wins it in the shoot out