Sunday, October 25, 2009

Peru and Machu Picchu Day 3

This will be the last post for a few days. Sorry, there's no internet in the jungle...

Today I had to take it sort of easy so I opted not to try any tours or anything. I got up and had a quick breakfast then headed to the main square, Plaza del Armos. They were having a large festival which I wasn't certain if it was common for Sundays or something special was going on. They had a parade and a ceremonial raising of the flags and a lot of military show during the course of the morning until about noon. They entire plaza was packed solid with people. I walked around that a few times and watched some of the spectacle at times too. I also walked both up and down hill a bit and got to see some more of the city. Overall it is an attractive city though some of the third world nature does show the further away from the main square you get. I wandered for some time then opted to have a beer and lunch at Norton Rats Pub right on the square. I had a cheeseburger and a pint of Abbot Ale. Being there gave me a chance to look at a bit of the show from their balcony.

After lunch I came back to the hotel and checked football scores to see the Patriots won, which was nice to find out and then relaxed in the room for a bit. I took one more small walk around town to decide on a place for dinner then headed back to the room to relax until it was time for the pre-trek meeting.

At 6pm I met my guide an other trekmates. The guide is named Justino and he spoke English well enough and seemed to have a sense of humor. My trekmates are all together and 2 from San Fran and one from Phoenix. Brian, Bill and Cindy (I made a mental note that is the BBC). The orientation was fairly quick and informative. This hike does sound like it is going to be difficult at times but I am sure I will make it.

After the meeting I walked down to the square and had dinner at Paititi, which is a Quechua name for a lost Incan city in the jungle. I had Lomo Soldato which was a beef dish with tomato and onion and peas served with a side of french fries and rice. It was good. I coupled that with glass of red wine and they gave me a free pisco sour. Pisco is like their version of tequila. I finished off with fruit and ice cream for dessert. While there I met a nice Peruvian woman from Lima who apparently works for their version of the IRS and travels their country giving anti-corruption training courses to the local officials. She was very nice. She went to University in Austin she said and her English was very good. She told me the festival was for the "Black Christ" who protects the region from earthquakes. I guess it is a yearly festival, so what I saw in the morning was not common.

After dinner I came back to write this and get packed and crash early because the initial bus ride to the trek starts at 5:45am.

See you all when the trek is over.

2 comments:

Lydia Dustin said...

Too late in the evening to think of pithy jungle remarks...good luck. Be safe. :)

Gary Savard said...

Happy Birthday!!! Hope you are having a great time!

Love,
Sara, Sue and Gary