Monday, August 24, 2009

Denmark 2009 Day 4

George had to study in the morning so we didn’t really get going until a bit later than normal. This is actually the normal Scandinavian time to start up but who’s counting really. First we had to drop a package off at the post office. From there we set out up the street to Charlottenlund and saw the beach area and the old ruined fort and walked around for a while. After a bit there we drove further up the coast. George’s apartment isn’t very far from the coast at all. It probably takes no more than ten minutes to get there by car. We drove along the northeast coast of the island for a while where he wanted to go to a small café on the beach for lunch.

The lunch was decent. I had what was listed as the Beach Club which turned out to be more of a garden salad with toast and sliced grilled chicken and a piece of bacon on it. It was actually quite good. The café was fairly small and there isn’t a lot of parking for it so we had to park a bit up the street and walk. It was neat that it had a traditional thatch roof though. We sat outside anyway. There were a lot of the small birds that always seem to hang around eateries. George gave a bit of bread to a couple of them and all of a sudden there were approximately 300 of them. When one couple left the birds started cleaning off their plates. It was interesting.

After lunch we got back in the car and headed further up the coast for a few more minutes before heading back to the apartment so George could cram before his Danish language class then headed into Copenhagen so he could go to class and I could run around the city a bit.

After we dropped George off at his class I walked up to Nyhavn and took the canal tour. I took it last time I was here too but it was fun to be out on the water and the weather was really perfect for it anyway even at 4pm. This took about 1 and a half hours of the 2 and three quarters hours I had to kill while he was in class. The only negative I can mention was the chain-smoking Brits who sat behind me. Anyway, you get to see all the stuff along the canal including the now 3 headed Little Mermaid (since she lost her first 2). The actual tour is about an hour long but I grabbed a hot dog from a stand to finally try one and ate that before the tour and the next one left at 4:20pm. I checked the watch as I got off the boat and it was just a bit past 5:30.

I walked back to the Round Tower and did that again. It was a fun visit the first time and wouldn’t take a terribly long time while still using up enough to be worthwhile. I took a bunch of pictures along the canal tour and from the tower. By the time I was exiting the tower it was about 6:10 or so and I needed to kill another half an hour or thereabouts. I decided to walk back to Nyhavn and get a beer which killed off the time perfectly. I drank a Carls Special and people watched the remaining time in front of the French embassy. When I finished the beer I headed back to his school and got there just about the time he got out.

We walked up the street a bit and had dinner at a Herefords which is a local steakhouse sort of chain (though apparently they don’t all share the same menus). I had a local beer from Bornholm, which is actually a Danish owned island barely off the coast of Sweden that was fairly good Mork Guld it was called. I don’t have the energy to get the O with the line through it for the name, sorry. I also had the beef fillet which actually turned out to be a strip steak. It came with a béarnaise sauce and vegetables and French fries. They truly served it to me rare and it was very good. We finished up the meal with coffee and started heading back to the train station. On the main walking streets I bought a dulce delice cone of ice cream which was very good and caramelly. From there we got to the train station and got back to the apartment for the night.

No comments: