Saturday, December 27, 2014

Peru Christmas 2014 Day 7

We got started late because Daniela was fully with a cold by the morning. Still she felt bad about being sick and wanted to get out to a drug store to buy something for it. So after a brief breakfast we rode out on the bicycles in search of lunch and a drug store. This was going fine for a while. It is definitely much safer to ride on the sidewalks here so that is what we tried to do as much as possible. In our efforts to find a drug store we drove past the John Lennon statue and continued on towards San Isidro.  We stopped to get some water and that shop owner explained where there was a drug store and Daniela bought what she needed a couple blocks away from where we were. We were heading on to finding a place for lunch when I misjudged the height of a curb and slid my front tire along it causing me to crash full on into the sidewalk. I spun the handlebars around and knocked the seat out of position. I got road rash on my right knee and my knuckles are all scratched. I severely bruised my right hand around the palm and wrist. I did not hit my face fortunately.  Probably because I damaged my hands instead.  A local helped me get up and helped with the bicycle. We rode back to the lady where Daniela bought water and washed off the worst of the wounds and put a couple bandages on those.  

After cleaning up we decided to continue on to a restaurant and went to La Baguette in San Isidro which was maybe another 15 blocks away from where we were.  I had meat raviolis with meat sauce and Daniela had a Thai salad.  Then we walked across the street and I had a Duet at 4D which is an ice cream shop mainly. The duet is like a large ice cream Oreo with chocolate sauce and caramel.  It was really good.  After that we made a quick stop to change some US money to soles then on to the apartment.

We got in and I made Daniela watch most of Guardians of the Galaxy but she fell asleep during it a few times.  In any event that got us to the point where we needed to get ready to go back to Lima downtown to see Donna act in a play put on by her acting school.  So we got ready and got a taxi. We were expected to be there at 7:30 (as everyone agreed the day before) but we got there around 8. We were the first to get there all the same. The doors didn't open until 8:30 I think. In all including her family and friends 13 people showed up to see Donna.  The play probably started around 9 and was about half an hour long.  I had a hard time following it at all. I can say it was conceptual in nature. Donna did very well and was only one of two women in the troop. The other woman was a sort of narrator which meant that Donna did all the rest of the female parts.  After the play ended we waited out in the courtyard for her for a while as she changed. Everyone pretended like she was a movie star and took pictures of her as she got outside.

We all went to Hotel Bolivar which is a short walk away from where the theater was. This hotel was once the premier place to stay in Lima but has waned a bit since.  They have a huge bar and are credited with being the place that invented the pisco sour.  We went there to have celebratory drinks.  Daniela and I had two pisco sours and some grilled chicken skewers.  While we were there.  There was a bit of confusion on paying the bill and we had a small gathering outside but finally I paid with my credit card and everyone else gave money into the bill to me.  

After all was said and done their friend Jacko drove Daniela and I back to our apartment. It was past 1:30am and we went immediately to bed.

I will publish the pictures from day 7 later.

No comments: