Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Peru Christmas 2014 Day 3

After we woke up we got the water ready to shower. Apparently we were supposed to turn on the water heater for 30 minutes before we start to use it. I am not sure why that would be but that was the owner's request. In any event we got cleaned up and after sorting out being in the apartment a bit better we decided to take the bikes the owner got for us for a ride and get lunch. Ironically the restaurant we chose to eat at was right around the corner but we rode around for a while first anyway.  Daniela had not ridden a bike in something like 15 years and was a bit nervous about it so we gave her the chance to get more comfortable.

The restaurant was named Mi Propiedad Privada which means My Private Property and is apparently in reference to a song of the same name.  The singer of the song marks her man as her private property with her own blood to warn all the other women looking at him.  The staff had US flags on their shirts along with Peruvian flags and we found out that meant they have another restaurant in the US in Miami in The Breakers.  They are a seafood restaurant. Daniela ordered Leche de Pantera to start (it is a citrusy fish broth from making a form of ceviche that has shellfish and other things in it.  It is very black looking. Leche de Tigre is similar but is white.  I ordered a Corvina a la Isla which in English was referred to as croaker. I do not recall eating croaker before but it was nice. It was served with cream and parsley sauces and had bacon and mushrooms. I quite liked the dish.  Daniela had tacu tacu de mariscos which is a seafood rice dish focusing on shellfish.  We each had a beer. Then for dessert we tried the tempura helado which is fried ice cream. It was served with something like a fried cake around it.  The ice cream was strawberry. They gave strawberries and peaches along with chocolate sauce on it. It was quite good but there was far too much especially after the meal and we fell to just eating the ice cream out of the middle.  The restaurant was having a Christmas party for a company so all the employees were there exchanging their secret Santa gifts as we were leaving.  They had a band also and were being served tons of beer. Apparently the company does not invite spouses to these parties like they might in the US so it was only the employees.  

After we left the restaurant we rode the bicycles further out to the John Lennon park which has a statue of John Lennon and a skate park.  Daniela said the guy that put up the park took a lot of criticism for doing it. I think it is an odd thing to have in Peru also.  But we really only were there for a couple minutes then we rode back to the apartment. She was much more comfortable riding the bicycle by the end of the ride.  

When we got back to the apartment we had received a reply from the students I had in training that are from Hologic's authorized dealer in Peru, IDISAC. I had told them I would be in town and they said they could meet up with us that night. We got cleaned up and met them for drinks and piqueos (snacks, bar food if you will).  Daniela had a last minute sale so she had a lot of stuff to do while we were getting ready and taking the taxi and even when we were at the mall where we went to Cafe News.  She had to run out after we sat down and buy some bus tickets for a passenger but she wasn't long.  We had several drinks and I had Chilcanos rather than beer. I think I should have had beer though.  We had a BBQ plate that had wings, chicken fingers and ribs.  The food was good.  However the drinks were very strong. I had a good time. We talked about a lot of different things both work related and not. I think we spent a couple hours there. By the time we left and all of that though I don't have a total recollection of what happened. I know now why I typically stay with beer most of the time. Four beers would not do to me what these four drinks did.  In any event I had a good time even if I don't know how I got to bed...

The pictures from today are located here.

No comments: