Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Peru Summer 2014 Day 5

We woke up early because Daniela wanted to go running so we actually did. Fortunately I had brought stuff to run with. We ran out to the waterfront from the apartment but found getting down to the actual beach would be tough because they are redoing the shoreline road so we just looked from slightly above it then headed back up the hill and around through the park to the apartment again. I think we ran for an hour and change. It was not high paced running at all. There aren't really a lot of hills in Miraflores until you get near the water so it was peacefully flat most of the time.

After the run we got cleaned up and I sent Daniela off to the office while I started to cook. I made barbecue chicken (similar to the recipe I did at their house before) with rice and green beans.  The rice I cooked in a rice cooker which I am not used to. It didn't come out the best but it was ok.  I added some lightly sauteed onion and garlic for flavor. The beans I cooked then sauteed in oil with garlic and oregano.  It took a while to make the sauce which I did as before with ketchup and Coke as the base.  Then I baked the chicken in the oven till done and finished as best I could under the broiler with the sauce.  It all came out ok. Not my best cooking but certainly not my worst.  Daniela invited her sister and friend over for lunch. They brought a bottle of chardonnay.  I would say I was cooking from about 11am till 2:30pm.  We ate and talked for a while. We had coffee and ice cream for dessert as well.

After we were done eating and the dishes had been cleaned up we relaxed for a while then got ready to go out to dancing per Daniela's request. There was a place in Barranco that was having a live salsa band on a Tuesday and she wanted to try it. We got cleaned up and headed to Barranco by taxi and first ate anticuchos at a restaurant in Barranco. Daniela misunderstood the portion sizes in ordering and bought far too much.  Still it was reasonably good food.  We had chicha morada to accompany the food.  After the meal we had a walk to the club where we got in and there was no band but the place was really crowded for a Tuesday.  We danced for a while and eventually the band did start up I think at about 1 or so. We danced for a few of their songs but I was mostly dead and after a while we left for the apartment. We got back and I think I crashed almost instantly.

No comments: