Monday, April 14, 2014

Peru Spring 2014 Day 11

As with many of my last days on a trip this was not much of a day at all. It started at 3:30am when the alarm went off and I got showered and completed packing. Daniela packed up a lot of her stuff but didn’t finish leaving the apartment because there was still the matter of checking out which needed to be done later in the day.  We were outside for the taxi we ordered the night before by 4am. He was actually early which was interesting.  He drove us first to Daniela’s house where she dropped off her stuff but I didn’t end up getting some of the stuff I had left at her house by accident.  All good I will be seeing her again soon.  From there we were taken to the airport. The only traffic we saw was actually at the airport.

Check-in was easy as there was little line (still I always wonder why every other person in the world takes 20 minutes to do what I get done in 5 minutes????!!!!). After dropping off the bag and getting the boarding passes Daniela and I hung around the airport for the next hour and a half. We had breakfast at a place called Pikeos. I had a ham and cheese sandwich with fries (it was done with garlic bread style toast and was tasty but a lot) and a coffee.  Daniela had a fruit salad and cappuccino. Then we looked at shopping for a bit then sat in the food court for a few minutes before it was time for me to leave, sadly.

There was no line at security or at immigration and I was through quickly. I spent another couple minutes shopping then was on to the gate where boarding was already near done (the flight wasn’t supposed to depart for another 35 minutes but it was not full).  So I got on (I was given an extra room seat in front of the wing by a couple rows which was quite nice, especially because the seat next to me was empty. It made me feel ok that I was on a window seat).  We took off early as the plane was finished boarding early. I fell asleep for a little while then woke up and saw that they were showing Frozen so I watched what was left of that so maybe I missed the first 10 or 15 minutes of it before I woke up).  They served breakfast which I just ate the fruit and fake croissant. I had tea and water otherwise.  After the movie I fell asleep again and woke up a few minutes before we passed over Cuba. I know this because I opened the window and saw Cuba.  It was probably another half an hour till landing time which had a couple small bumps but the flight was really uneventful.

At the airport I used Global Entry and got through immigration quickly then on to wait for the bag. I was basically bag number 10 or so off the conveyor. From there a quick run through the global entry version of customs and on to recheck the bag. After rechecking the bag it was a run through a special security area for people taking connecting flights. There was only one line but it moved reasonably ok, probably because everyone had to have checked security somewhere else before.  After security I found my flight gate was at D49 and had to take the skytrain to that section of the D concourse. I then found the gate right in front of the Island Grill which I had eaten at before. I had a burger with cheddar and bacon and a West Coast IPA from San Diego.  Then it was on to the gate to wait for the boarding process. There was significantly more than an hour and a half to go before departure.

Of course not having much else to do I just found a seat at the gate area and waited it out. I watched a bit of what they had on TV though none of it was anything exciting. The plane had to be late on arrival. It was coming in from an international location then on to Boston but arrived at least 15 minutes late and took them a long time to check and clean so we left probably about 45 minutes late after all.   I ended up in another extra space seat (the guy at the AA desk in Lima must have liked me for the instant upgrades) and had no one to my side so even though it was again a window seat I didn’t mind.  I spent the vast majority of the flight sleeping. They didn’t play movies, only TV shows and I did not feel like digging out my headphones anyway (internal to US flights charge for headphones).  The flight was uneventful with only a couple bumps.   We landed late of course but they did make up some of the delay time so it was less than half an hour late.  I disembarked and had to wait a bit for my luggage (they dropped out another flight from LAX at the same time on the same conveyor) but it was not too long. I called to find the Flightline van was waiting for me already. I got in. We picked up another couple. We drove them to Dascomb Road then I got the ride the rest of the way home. I got home at about 10:30pm.


The trip was a lot of fun though of course it is sad to have to leave Daniela behind. I cannot wait for the day I will be bringing her home with me instead.  The only good news is she will be in Asia with me for about a month when I am sent there to teach classes.

The final set of pictures for this trip are located here.

No comments: