Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Iceland Day 5

Today being the last full day in Iceland became sort of a universal putz around day rather than anything planned.  I think with the brutalization caused by the two days of tours with no recovery period no one wanted to really do anything killer active. I woke up first pretty much but forced myself to stay in bed from 6 to 8am when I did actually start moving trying not to wake anyone else up. I made what I would eat for breakfast and slowly the rest of the crowd started to rise. We made an easy morning of it and basically just used the day to wander around Reykjavik rather than to do anything totally active.

We visited the culture museum which had a very cool exhibit on the old saga texts of Iceland then headed down  to get lunch at the burger joint on Burgerjoint corner. It was a reasonably good burger. I got mine with bacon and cheese because I just ordered whatever Dee got.  After lunch we sort of split up for a bit and went to see the big church at the top of the hill and go up to the top of the tower.  The view was really nice up there but it was rather windy. After the church Dee and I headed down to the waterfront because I wanted to get pictures of a couple statues we had passed in vehicles that I hadn't yet gotten a chance to photograph but I knew I wanted.  After that it was a double wander through town to pick up a few souvenirs that need to be bought before we get out of town.  Since we were split up we made plans to get back to the house by 5pm for dinner plans. I chose to get back early and have a quiet beer.

After everyone arrived we spent a few minutes deciding where to eat and after looking through a couple pages of a book we chose Hofnin down on the waterfront.  We walked down and got seated right away. We had an appetizer that was basically bread and a few different types of fish and Dee and I shared a bottle of white wine. I ordered the mussels which turned out to be a mistake as they were horribly overcooked.  Everyone else seemed to like their food at least.  I didn't finish the mussels. I had their carrot cake dessert which was really good and accompanied that with a priest's coffee which has brennivin in it. That was actually very tasty.  I hadn't had brennivin before that.  After we finished we sort of just wandered around the city a bit, even ending up back at the viking ship statue on the waterfront for a short while. After wandering about we eventually made it back to the house and finished up the night.

The pictures from today can be found here.

No comments: