Saturday, May 26, 2012

Iceland Day 1

I headed straight to the airport from work via a ride from my brother. This trip is with 4 other people, 3 of which were flying on the same flight. I was the first to arrive as heading there straight from work meant being very early for a 9:30pm flight.  I managed to get selected for the "random" special screening which took an extra ten minutes on my time through the security line. It was indeed a pain but I didn't give them any hard time at all. After that I headed in to O'Brians and get some food and beer and wait for the rest to arrive. The bartender I always see was there. I ordered a chicken finger platter and had a couple Sam Adams as well. Scott was the second to show up, followed by Dee and Mike. We had a couple drinks and Scott also had a burger then we left the bar and waited a few more minutes to board the plane.

The flight was fairly bumpy but I slept through a fair portion of it and did not even try to watch a movie at all.  The trip took 4 hours 45 minutes. We were able to get our luggage and out of the airport fairly quickly. Edda was there to pick us up. She is the woman we were renting the apartment from. She has a Ford Explorer. The drive took about a half an hour or so from the airport to the house. Apparently the apartment we were supposed to rent was not actually available due to some unfortunate circumstances with the people who are renting it that were already supposed to be out two weeks ago. She instead had us take a house across the street. It is a fairly big house with plenty of room for us and two stories. The main bath even has a hot tub. By the time we got settled in we decided to get some breakfast from the bakery down the street then get cleaned up. It was basically around 8:30 or so when we went to the bakery. After that we trudged out to the shop to get some beer and other booze for the house. We brought that back and then found the market where we bought some food for the next few days.

After we dropped off the groceries we decided to get lunch because it was basically around that time. We walked down the street and ate a small cafe/restaurant down the hill. I will try to find the place's name later on but I forgot to take note of it while we were there. I had the bergburger which was a burger with a yogurt mushroom sauce and fries. The sauce made it necessary to use a knife and fork to eat it. It was quite tasty. I accompanied that with a Viking beer. Scott had the same. Mike had a chicken salad (salad with chicken) and Dee had a chicken sandwich which also looked like a salad with chicken.  The food was very enjoyable.

When we finished that we headed out to walk around a bit and entered the theater to look around a bit then headed over to see the statue of Ingolfur (the first settler of Iceland) and on to the opera house which we went into and explored. From there we walked out to look at the harbor then turned into the town a bit and wandered about for a short while. We stopped for a coffee then walked over to the lake for a quick look before the kids said they were too tired and we headed back to the house. Dee decided to go to a small art museum while we settled in. I started to write this at that point. Scott snored. We basically relaxed until it was time for dinner.

We decided to eat in the house and made sausage sandwiches and salad. I tried the Kaldi dark and later while we watched Eurovision I had the Kaldi lager.  Eurovision is a bizarre process by which horrible pop acts perform and a bunch of countries vote on the acts to determine a winner. The winner country gets to host the next Eurovision. Based on the performances there is no way I could have predicted who would win or even who would do well. The act from Sweden won. I would not even remotely have voted for it.  I really question the taste of Europeans after this. Plus the whole process took forever. We needed to stay up later so it was not a total waste even it if it was at times quite painful.  Most scary was that the act from Albania was in the top 5. It was very scary.

The pictures from today are located now on Shutterfly.  I hope it works out.

No comments: