Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Fast Turnaround To Japan 2010

Just before leaving for Peru I purchased an airline ticket to Japan for March/April 2010. The price suddenly bottomed to $840 the day I was preparing to fly out and I couldn't pass on it as it was a discount of around $300 compared to prices I had been seeing. I have checked since and it has gone back up. I had intended to deal with purchasing the airfare after coming back and sorting out how much I had spent in Peru but circumstances worked differently. The tickets were purchased through United. We'll unfortunately have to fly out through O'Hare but will be returning through San Francisco. It will be the first time I've touched California in my life.

This, of course, will be my second trip to Japan. The first being in October/November 2007. The main intention of this trip is to see Japan during the cherry blossom season of early spring. It will still be a little bit cooler there but spring should be sprung. The intention is to stay a few days in Tokyo and a few days in Kyoto. So far there are 3 others who have purchases plane tickets for the trip. Brien will be returning with his girlfriend Cathy. Our friend Ronni will also be joining us. It will be her second time out of the country but first time to Japan. Scott unfortunately will not be providing his comic relief on this trip as of yet, and may be unlikely too. George has signed on in name but may not be able to attend either. He of course would have to arrange separately anyway for being in Denmark.

I'm working with our contact on the ground Marina to make some preparations. So far the likely hotel we'll be staying at in Tokyo is Hotel Villa Fontaine Hamamatsucho which is in a similar area to the Shiba Park where we stayed last time. We did like the location and it will keep us near to visiting Kaji one day if he is still open! We'll be staying in Tokyo for March 28, 29, 30 and then from April 6 to the morning of April 11 when we fly back home. The in between days will be based out of Kyoto. In total the trip will be two weeks again. We will end up being out of the country for Easter this year.

I am still working out the details of a hotel for Kyoto. I have one in mind but am checking some logistics on it. As soon as I have that sorted out I will be posting that information.

I think I am already excited for this trip. I loved Japan the first time around and sort of made a small pact with myself (similar to the pact to always be out of the US for my birthday, or at least away from home) to return to Japan every couple years or so. I know after cherry blossom viewing I want to get back to Japan in the summer to climb Mount Fuji soon enough.

No comments: