Friday, November 06, 2009

Cindy's Pictures from Peru

Cindy sent me a link to her pictures from Peru and I asked her if she minded if I link to them. She said I could so please take a look at them. She is a much more fantastic photographer than I will ever be. Of course there are pictures from around Peru that I have not been to in her collection but you will also find the Inka Trail and Machu Picchu in there as well.

I figured I might take this post as an opportunity to add a couple more thoughts about Peru. Since it was my first trip to a country where more people are poor than not, I was concerned about what things would be like. Admittedly, I was in touristy areas for almost the entire time I was there but I was able to see some of the less polished areas in and about where I was staying. I did not feel that I was unsafe at any point in time during the trip which I think was a very positve thing. Certainly, not being able to flush toilet paper down the commode was an unusual experience and I was not fond of being unable to drink the local water for the expectation of dysentary but overall I would visit Peru again and I think it eased some of my fears about visiting third world countries. I am not about to run straight out to any war-torn African countries but some of the other place I have been considering seem a bit less dubious. Of course, I know to still be wary in any of my travels and to not try to find myself in dark alleys at midnight in general but it was a small hurdle I had to jump at some point to visit a third world country and I think it was a pleasant enough experience.

No comments: