Saturday, July 18, 2009

Jeep Jamboree Day 2

Day 2 would be Vertigo. I did Vertigo the first trail day last year also and remembered it being difficult and very tight in a lot of spots. I was a bit nervous about it because in talking with the guildes they all say the trails only get worse each year. They did raise the difficultly of Vertigo from 3-4 to 4-5 this year. The better point was that the weather was going to be nicer on Friday and the trails would be less torn up on the first day so it was very tactical that I chose Vertigo for Friday. I am very happy I chose it that way. The trails were fairly difficult as I remembered but I had a bit more confidence going into it this year and conditions were still fairly good. Also thanks to the rest of the Exploring NH people getting to the front of the line we were at the head of the pack. I don't envy the folks that were in the back of the line for some of the obstacles that got really mushy the more Jeeps that passed over it. I did ding the skid plates quite a bit and I rubbed a tree once trying to help pull out Rob (but failing at it, they used a log to get him out). Rob did pull me out the one time I got stuck really badly. I was able to get through most everything else. As the day progressed, Steve, the trail leader had to break out the chainsaw for a few things.

I was nervous in some spots but overall I really had a lot of fun. The people on the trail were all very nice and cool people to hang out with. We did spend some fair amounts of time waiting for people to clear obstacles so there was plenty of time to get to know people. It did start to rain towards the end of the day but we were basically done. We got in about 5.

We went to dinner at the lodge, in which I had a very average pulled pork sandwich and then everyone came down to our condo again to hang out and look at pictures. Since I'm on a sketchy wireless I will post the pictures from home.

1 comment:

Slim said...

Jeep Diving

Rules for Jeep Diving:
1) Girl must be hot
2) Must be in a wrangler with no doors
3) Girl must be listening to music or talking on her cell phone (no exceptions)
4) No men must be in the vehicle
5) If woman is driving vehicle, man must Dive in back driver-side seat (no exceptions)
6) Cowboy hat = 3 bonus points
7) Game can only be won if/when a) seat belt is fully buckled and/or b) car wheels are set into motion