Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Japan Day 11

Ok, so today was sort of a non-day for various reasons. We started late and Brien ended up being sick not long after breakfast so he couldn’t go out for the earlier part. George was still having breathing troubles and I had a cold. The first part of the day after breakfast was spent visiting George’s GN office for a few minutes. They were all very nice people but we weren’t there for very long. They gave us some instant coffee which was so far the worst coffee I’ve had in Japan.

After the GN office we went not too far away to Akihibara which is the main electronics retail area of the city. This had been an area where all the nerds and otaku (who would dress up in costumes from their favorite Japanese animation shows) would all hang out but the major commercial people saw the yen value in the area and it has become very commercialized. When that happened a lot of the kids moved on to other areas to hang out and be geeks. As it is there was a lot of stuff to look at and we ran through a few stores.

From there we returned to the hotel and took it easy for a while. We then found Brien who was having hot chocolate with Marina the hotel manager. She gave us some more places to have dinner and a few other places in Tokyo we should visit. Then we went to the Dream Factory, an Italian restaurant which is owned by the chef who actually went to Italy to study. His main two menu elements are lasagna and pizza. We each ordered a various lasagna sort, I had the lasagna verde and it all was very good. For dessert I had vanilla ice cream drowned in espresso which they hadn’t sweetened. It was very good. The owner even gave us a free appetizer of cheese that had been broiled which we dipped bread sticks into because Marina called ahead to tell him we were coming there.

After dinner it was pretty much head back to the hotel and go to bed because the cold was really killing me pretty badly and George was shot from not being able to breathe. I am not sure if either of them went out again but the 12 hours of sleep really helped me.

2 comments:

brienprime said...

I think I headed back out because I'd been drinking and try to find my way back to the Roppongi district... kinda foggy I don't remember which day that was I did that.

Unknown said...

George was shot for not being able to breathe? Man, I thought Hong Kong was strict.