Tuesday, November 13, 2007

The Costs of the Trains

Ok, so I will admit that we lost a teeny bit of money because we didn't recognize Hamamatsucho Station as an option until too late so we should have used our rail pass to get there from Tokyo Station and walked 2 blocks to the hotel instead of taking cabs from Tokyo Station. Live and learn. All the same I did some quick calculations to figure out how much money we saved by purchasing our rail passes. I have the cost of the pass as being $347 USD based on my bank statement.

For Scott who only used the pass for the Ride to Himeji and the ride to Kanazawa I found that the total cost of the train rides would have been $713.30.

For the remainder who also used the pass to go to Nagoya and back and took the shinkansen back from Odawara after the Fuji/Hakone tour the total cost of train rides would have been $984.90. This is as of November 13 conversion rate, however it will not be that very far off.

So Scott saved $366. We saved $638 on our usage. This all counts one way fares purchased from location to location. There is going to be some variance in that I some fares were different based on the course but I tried to find the ones that matched our courses best. There was an additional charged incurred traveling to Kanazawa as we had to switch off the JR line to complete the journey.

To me it appears the passes, especially the green car/no smoking passes were worth it.

No comments: