Monday, September 04, 2006

London Day 2

I started London Day 2with a tube ride from Fulham Station which appears to be the closest to the Jurys to Oxford Circus (chosen mildly randomly). I then made my way to Picadilly Square where I had breakfast at a Garfunkel's. I love Brit bacon. From there I walked down to the Thames and then walked up to the Tower of London. I did the Tower, including the guided tour. The tour guide is a retired serviceman and is called a Beefeater. They apparently actually live in the Tower with their families. In any event, our tour guide was very funny and also very short. Nonetheless, that was a brief portion of my stay in the Tower. I spent from 10am to nearly 3pm in there and I have a ton of pictures to prove it.

After I completed the Tower I walked back towards Westminster stopping at Embankment. Because my feet were killing me I decided to get off them for a bit by taking a boat tour of the Thames. It wasn't anything exciting but was a very nice respite. After that I searched out dinner in Picadilly again, going to an Italian restaurant I already forgot the name of and having broiled sea bass. The first fillet was perfect but the second was a bit charred. Nonetheless I enjoyed it. Following that, I walked back to and across the Thames and took a "flight" on the London Eye. (I realize my walking wasn't very efficiently thought out). The flight was about 45 minutes or so and people like me who aren't nuts about heights maybe shouldn't do it but I enjoyed it anyway. Sunset happened while I was up there, but nothing excitingly visual came with that. It just got dark. In any event, after I was done with the Eye I pretty much wandered for a bit more and then took a taxi back to the Jurys.

The images are posted on kodakgallery here.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

But isn't it cool to be able to see the whole sunset from light to dark spanning the sky, even if nothing spectacular happens, like Thor smiting some lesser god among the clouds? I always liked the idea of chasing (or fleeing, depending on the direction) the sun. Damn sun! Totally has the speed advantage.

Coco said...

You have some great pictures! Not sure but-- I think the crows in England look an aweful lot like the ones in The States. ;)

-Colleen

p.s. -- Sneakers are a foot's best friend!

Ulgrod said...

Heehee - you are a stubborn man Tom. I assume you have switched to more comfortable shoes by now? Or have you decided to rid out your 2000 mile trip? :D