Monday, September 11, 2006

Day 4, Coventry Cathedral and York

The day started with an actual breakfast at the hotel. From there we moved on to Coventry Cathedral. The Cathedral consists of the ruins of the old cathedral which was fire-bombed during World War II. I took quite a few pictures of this. The rebuilt the Cathedral in the 1960s using a style that was fit for that time. The new cathedral is right next door to the old one. The style was rather not my style and I didn’t take any pictures of it.

From there we spent a large part of the day driving to York. We arrived at York at about 1:30 and had until 4:30 to be there. I had a lot of fun in York but again this visit was killed by being far too short. Managed to get through Yorkminster Cathedral and do a bit of the wall aside from eating at Guy Fawkes Hotel, in the restaurant therein, which I believe was named Guido’s. The food was pretty good there. I had a venison pie with mixed vegetables and boiled potatoes. Getting back to Yorkminster, it’s where I spent a the better part of my time in York. The current cathedral is built over the site of two previous ruins. The first a Roman fort. The second a Norman era cathedral. The building that stands took towards 200 years to complete. I was very impressed with how much obviously went into this building. It stills scares me what has been done and spent in the name of religion. The Roman wall is exactly that, a fortress wall built by the Romans and maintained so that it was always in repair. You can walk the top of the wall and I managed to get through some of it, but time just ran out too quickly.

Things I didn’t get to do… The castle, it’s not big but I wanted to visit it. The Viking museum. Jorvik I believe it was called.

Oh, yeah, during the early part of the visit we visited a small medieval parish church that was very interesting as well.

After the visit to York it was on to the Quality Hotel for dinner and sleep. The Quality Hotel is in Leeds I think.

Images for today are posted here.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Tom, this is totally off topic, but I just started reading the Eco book you dropped off before you left. Immensely enjoying it already, only ten pages in. Thank you for the steady stream of literature and its accompanying mental stimulation. :)

-Tara

Unknown said...

Can't wait to see the pictures of the WWII destroyed cathedral; historical sorrow next to 60's bland reconstruction. Too bad you didn't get pics of the recon; would have made an interesting contrast.

Ulgrod said...

Also off topic but which Eco book was it?

Coco said...

Hey Tom ---

You made it in a picture all (reflection in Day4 #025)

Love all the gargoyles.

-Colleen