Monday, September 18, 2006

Day 15, Tower Bridge and return home

I started the day early and had plenty of time before I had to get to Heathrow, so I took a cab to central London and walked up to Tower Bridge where I went through the upper walkways and engine room exhibit. After that I took a ride on a hop-on, hop-off river boat back to Westminster and hit a couple shops and then took a cab back to the Hotel which was again the Jury's Chelsea. Chelsea Football Club was playing Liverpool and traffic was kind of rough but I was able to get my stuff and get a new cab and get to the airport with plenty of time.

From there things went pretty smooth. The return flight was on a 777 and I sat next to a 75 year old woman who travels to England every year for 6 weeks to visit her best friend. She was very nice and we talked pretty much the whole 8 hours of the flight. The flight was full but since neither of us was too big there really wasn't any space issues. I had a window seat. She the aisle.

Back at Dulles we had a minor hassle going through customs but not too bad. I took my flight to Boston on a 757 and had an Economy Plus seat with no one next to me. This was fortuitous because the plane was loaded in standard economy class as there was a smaller plane that was supposed to leave an hour prior that was cancelled. I was able to sleep for most of the hour of this flight, which was nice because it was equivalently about 4am to me and I'd been up straight through.

After waiting what seemed forever, I was able to get my luggage. My dad was waiting already to pick me up and we got out of the airport fairly quickly.

I'll post my final thoughts on the trip in a short while. I've just woken up and have to go to work.

Images are posted here.

No comments: