Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Peru Christmas 2014 Day 15

We woke up kind of latish. We stayed around the house for the morning and then had to get ready and went to Donna and Edwin’s house for lunch.  I was still not feeling great to my stomach.

They served ceviche for a starter followed by arroz con pollo.  We brought along a bottle of wine but I didn’t drink. I had the chicha morada they provided and also some tea.  They had some cookies for dessert.  Daniela’s brother did not make it to their house but her mother did if a little bit later than they had hoped for. I didn’t take pictures in their house though probably I should have because it is very nice.  The food was really good and fortunately I didn’t have any adverse reactions to it. I wonder if it was just Daniela’s family from Arequipa that was the issue?

After we ate dinner we had tried to make plans to meet up with Dan from NY in Lima downtown. He was staying near there he thought so Daniela and I took a taxi to get there to meet him for six but due to her mother’s arriving late we ate later than we expected and showed up at 6:15. Apparently Dan had already given up on us so we ended up waiting around till about 7:00 before deciding to head back to the house.  We were able to trade emails with him and found out that he just panicked that we weren’t showing and left after a couple minutes of us being late. I was surprised primarily because of how late we were compared to what we said on New Year’s Eve.  I thought he might have figured that out.

At the house we primarily got me packed up and ready to get on the plane that night but we also relaxed a little bit while waiting.  After all was said and done we had to get a taxi to the airport. My first flight out of Lima was to be delayed by weather in the US but we were told to go in for the normal time just in case. So we got to the airport. My check-in was quick. The lady at the desk told me the delay shouldn’t be a problem for my flight from Houston so I should be ok with my already set flights.  I met Daniela in the open area and we stayed at the food court of the airport until it was time for me to head in. My flight remained delayed by some time but I still needed to make sure I got through security and immigration without being too delayed. We didn’t eat anything or even do any shopping. We just sat and talked until it was time for me to go. The security line was a bit rough but immigration was quick.  So probably I left a few minutes earlier than I needed to. Of course we wanted to be together as long as possible.  I think in some respects we are getting too used to this part of the trip. I don’t like it much but it won’t be for much longer I hope.  So I got in and found they were a bit more delayed than they said and spent a couple minutes shopping but not long. That covered the difference and when I got back we were basically lined up and ready to board.

The flight boarded reasonably well. I was in the inner aisle and had a Chinese couple next to me. They were quiet I think. As soon as I boarded I fell asleep and didn’t really wake up until less than an hour before we arrived to Houston. The plane was a 767-300. I didn’t even make it to the safety briefing before I was asleep.

We arrived in Houston. I go through the Global Entry kiosk and had an added step of being checked for ebola by a live officer but that was quick. Luggage wasn’t too bad and I was able to get myself through customs (the non-Global Entry folks were pissed at our speed through the line) and on my way to baggage recheck and then on to my gate (no security recheck needed as I was in the same terminal).  I didn’t have to wait too long before we were boarding. I did buy a snack for the morning because I really didn’t eat on the other flight and this flight wouldn’t have any food. But it was only some bugles that I ate most of before we got on board.  The boarding was quick again but I was literally surrounded by children. Some were quiet and some were obnoxious. The family with 3 kids and another on the way had no control over their children. I was still so tired I was able to sleep through most of that as well.  We landed maybe a little bit early. My bag was one of the last off the belt. Still Dad was waiting for me and we were on our way home with basically no traffic in short order. The Bruins were playing and lost in a shootout before we got home.



No comments: