Monday, March 31, 2014

Peru Spring 2014 Day 1

Ok, so today started with work like a few other of my trips before.  I spent the night before at my brother David’s house and he drove me into the office. I had a fairly busy day before finishing out and he drove me to the airport. Yes, we left a bit early, but honestly not much.  The ride to the airport was relatively traffic free and easy. I bet his ride home was with a bit more traffic based on what we saw heading in the other direction. I got to the American desk and checked in without much issue. The guy at the desk offered me an emergency row seat which bumped me from boarding group 4 to boarding group 2 which I was happy for (at least for the Boston to Miami flight).  The line at security was really bottlenecked up but they fixed the issue by opening up a second line and then everything went smoothly from there.  I walked around terminal B a bit finding the gate then seeing what my options were. I chose to go to the Cisco Brewpub which I have been to a couple times before. I had two of their Indie Pale Ales and an order of their kickin’ buffalo chicken tenders to kill a bit of time. Of course I was early.  The Indie was maybe a touch too piney but after the buffalo chicken it seemed to tame down a bit and I quite enjoyed it. The kickin’ level was not really overly spicy to me but I could bet more than a few customers from around here would be horrified by it.  I realize I had just had a couple of days of stomach troubles and this might be a bad idea but I decided to risk it anyway.  After eating I made a quick pit stop then it was on to sit at the gate for hopefully only a short while before we boarded.

My neighbors were two fairly large women that I thought were sisters at first but I later had to guess were friends instead.  Fortunately I was on the aisle and the seats were exit row seats so I was given some extra room but it was still a bit squishy.  The one next to me was panicky about flying and a little bit tipsy as she was trying to cope with it but after takeoff she calmed down and it wasn’t so bad. The real issue was a very long taxi time in a large line of planes.  The flight itself had a few bumps but wasn’t really that bad. I fell asleep for a bit of the takeoff. Woke up and saw there was a movie starring Robert Redford now in his what? 80s? where he was on a sailboat and had a series of unfortunate incidents.  He was the only actor in it. I never tried to plug into sound (they never brought around headsets) but I suspect the 19 words in the script were as obvious as they looked.  For some odd reason I could not stop myself from watching it (I am curious if I plugged into sound if that would have changed my opinion) and reached the end before I took another small nap to basically within a few minutes of the end of the flight.  The plane, by the way, was a 757-11/13 it said on the card.

Being at the exit row meant deplaning was fairly quick but I arrived with American on Concourse D and needed to get zip codes away to concourse J for my departure plane on LAN.  I had to exit and rescreen security at J. I remember this process before. At this time of night it was basically empty in the airport (around 10pm) but I still managed to get the family just in front of me that doesn’t understand airport security at all. They were Spanish speaking and honestly it felt like airport security let a lot skip (they went through metal detector and did not get patted down but I had to go through the backscatter x-ray machine).  I was a touch annoyed with it but still it wasn’t really that bad.  After checking in I found the gate and found the Corona’s Beach House I ate at last time on my trip down. They were obviously getting ready to close but I got a Sam Adams and a cheeseburger before they did (fortunately they had good beer instead of only Corona).  The food was ok but not great. Just as I remembered it.  They were basically done cashing out by the time I finished the beer. Of course I cashed myself out before I finished to help them out. Then I double-checked my gate and found it was staying still at J12 and parked for a few minutes to write up this then maybe nap for the next hour and 20 minutes until they started to board.

The plane was half full and I managed to get a whole row in the back of the plane to myself. They had assigned me center but I decided to take a free window instead. The truth of the matter is I have little recollection of this flight as I fell asleep almost immediately not even taking the food or drink service. Though I woke up here or there I was able to sleep in some fashion for all but say the last 20 minutes of the flight since they announced they were in landing descent.  The plane deboarded quickly.

 I got to and through immigration rapidly too.  I had to wait a bit for my suitcase even with a quick pit stop.  I got out and had to wait a little bit for Daniela to arrive. She did and it was great to finally see her again after several months. We took a taxi to her house and her family was waiting to take us to breakfast.  We took a short walk to a restaurant that sells pan con chicharon which is basically roasted pork sandwiches. Donna and her boyfriend Edwin went along with my mother-in-law.  The food was really good but so soon off the flight I didn’t eat a lot. My stomach was still roiling a little bit.  After we ate we got back to the house and Daniela and I packed day trip bags as we were not staying in the house or at an apartment for the next few days. We packed and took a taxi to Miraflores where we were staying at the Hotel Arawi that everyone else stayed at their last night in Lima during the wedding trip.  We got settled in and then basically it wasn’t long before sleep took over. Even with the sleep on the plane I was exhausted and Daniela hadn’t really slept the night before either.  After a nap we got cleaned up and headed out to take a walk and get some empanadas.


After we got back from walking around and completing a couple of errands we went down to the hotel restaurant and had our free drink each (a pisco sour) and ordered our dinner. We had the dinner delivered to the room. I had the pulpo (octopus) starter. Daniela had the scallops starter. We both had the baby chicken on a bed of new potatoes for dinner. The food was good but the sauce the chicken was braised in was a bit salty.  I had the handmade ice cream which was chocolate flavored but seemed more like chocolate cookie flavored (it was very good). Daniela had a crepe with vanilla ice cream and caramel.  After dinner we relaxed for the evening because we had an early start the next day.

The pictures from day 1 are located here.

No comments: