Saturday, October 26, 2013

Peru Fall 2013 Day 7

We woke up rather early and got everyone entered into the Palomino Island trip which I had done on my trip when I first met Daniela. Even Daniela and I were going this time.  We had a bit of running around to get everything working and then took a transfer van from the apartment to the port in Callao where the transfer leaves.

The tour was supposed to start at 11:30 but we were probably 10 minutes late. All the same we boarded and were off fairly easily.  The tour was exactly the same. First a trip around the big island owned by the Peruvian navy then on to the island with all the sea lions.  Outside the shelter of the island the water was a bit rough and it was definitely cooler this trip than it was on the first time I did the tour. There was a fairly thick fog and a lot of clouds at first. The fog thinned out. Daniela was freezing so she borrowed a heavy shirt from my brother which she wore over the life vest.  The roughness of the sea did bother Daniela a bit.

The sea lions were in force and this time they started following the boat as soon as we got there. Daniela, Sue and I all decided to go in the water though it was probably only 14C or so.  We had wet suits for this.  The water was insanely cold at first but we got used to it. It was incredible how close the sea lions came to us, even touching us and jumping through us. I am glad I did it this time. Even though I am not a good swimmer but with the wet suit and the life vest I was ok. I think we were in the water for about 20 minutes to half an hour. Probably closer to 20 minutes.  Then we got out and changed and sailed back to the shore around the far end of the island.

When we got back we took a quick detour to the church in La Punta so some folks could use the rest rooms and then drove back to Miraflores. Fortunately we beat the traffic. We dropped Daniela off at the office and went to Don Bellasario which is a Pollo ala Brasa place just across from her office and the apartment. We had some gigantic sampler platters we couldn't finish and I had a beer.

We brought he leftovers to Daniela and she sorted out some stuff then she had to get on her way back home. We got back to the apartment and had a couple beers and watched the last episode of The IT Crowd then Wallace and Grommit: A Matter of Loaf and Death.  Then pretty much it was bedtime.

The pictures from today are found here.

No comments: