Sunday, November 11, 2012

Colombia Day 1

Flightline picked me up at 1:45am which turned out to be a bit excessive as terminal B for American Airlines was not even open yet. Apparently they also had a power outage just before I got there and all the check-in stations were shut down. The power came on just a few minutes after I got there but it took them a while to get things running. When they did I checked in then had a short wait for the security check to open then went through security and got a coffee before waiting at the gate until 5:00am which was boarding time.

The plane boarded with little incident and the flight was basically easy with me nodding off for most of it. This plane was a 757. They had no food or snack, just drinks to serve.  It was less than 3 hours in the air to Miami.  We arrived early and I had enough to make a pit stop before getting to my gate. I had to use a tram though technically both gates were in the D terminal.  It was a very short wait for boarding to Bogota and that also was without incident.

The flight was at 10am and was 3:30 long so more than the flight to Miami. I nodded off through a lot of that one too. I believe this was the first 767 I have ever flown on.  They served a breakfast where I had a ham sandwich along with yogurt, a croissant and melon.  There were a few bumps on this flight, especially the closer I got to Colombia. Bogota was mostly cloud covered.  It took a fair amount of time to get off the plane. Immigration was fairly quick and painless if I got a few more questions than I expected.  From there it was get the bag which was only a couple minutes to wait for and on through customs who just took my slip then an xray scan of my bags before exiting.

Daniela was waiting and she looked very beautiful. She pinched me about 20 times or so to make sure I was real.  We got our livery to the hotel and I dropped off my stuff then quickly got cleaned up before we decided to go out walking the area around the hotel.  We are staying at Hotel los Heroes for our couple days in Bogota.  There was supposed to be a commercial center about 8 blocks away.  Unfortunately while we were walking and talking we went right past it and continued till we realized we had overshot our destination. So we turned back and headed towards where we should have turned in for it. By then we were getting hungry so we found a beef restaurant named Sagal that was actually open. It being Sunday we had only found fast food places open to this point. We decided we would eat there. We sat outside as it was fairly nice out.  We ordered a couple of glasses of red wine, some chorizo as an appetizer, a T-bone steak to share and Daniela got a salad.  The steak was really good although it was huge and even between us we left a bit of it behind. The steak also came with potatoes which I got mashed. They were ok. Overall if we held out a few more minutes we might have found a better place I think. I know that because we found Parque 93 which was surrounded by all sorts of restaurants. We walked around the park area and took a short visit to the swingsets before getting ice cream at a Waffles & Crepes shop. We split a small cup and got a combination of yogurt with chocolate crunchies in it and coffee coffee flavors. They were both good. The ice cream they served all had bolder versions of their flavors. We sampled a couple different types before deciding what to get.

After the ice cream we walked around a little bit longer before turning back towards the hotel where we found that we really had walked a lot further than we thought we did.  It took us quite a while to get back to the hotel. Neither of us had gotten any real sleep on the night before so we were tired and that was going to be it for the night.

The pictures from today are located here.

No comments: