Sunday, July 22, 2012

Japan 2012 Day 1


The day started at 4am when I woke up to get ready and have at least that first cup of coffee before getting to the airport.  My first flight was to Dallas/Fort Worth at 7:40am.  This time I was taking American Airlines instead of United. Most typically you fly to Peru on American and Japan on United but I did it backwards this year.  The American line was a bit slow even though it was not that long. The woman at the counter took longer than most of them do to process me in. Not sure what was going on there.  Nonetheless getting checked in and through security was basically painless and actually fairly quick.  I wandered the terminal for a short time before buying a bottle of water and then waiting it out until flight time while playing a word search on my phone.  The flight boarded quickly and we took off on time.  There was nothing really exciting to report about the flight. It was 3 ½ hours long and wasn’t really bumpy.  We landed in DFW with me having 2 hours to get to my next boarding time for the flight to Japan. After exiting I had to take a tram to the correct terminal and then found the duty free shop to check for a product for Marina that they unfortunately did not have.  When that was done I found a Mexican restaurant and had 2 beef enchiladas with beans and rice and a Negra Modelo.  The food was a touch cold but tasty and even a little bit spicy (not spicy to me but spicy enough to notice they put something in it).  That really didn’t take very long at all so I basically just headed to the gate to wait out the remainder of the time till boarding.

We boarded on time and it was actually very smooth going though a bit strange.  The first 3 groups after the premier access basically no one got on the plane. I was group 4 and that was when the line filled up.  I was in the back row of the first section after business class in the center section but only 4 of the 5 seats got filled. It actually was a fairly decent seat and my neighbor was quite and kept to her own seat.  The plane did not take off until around a half an hour late because we apparently had a leaky water pipe for a coffee pot and they had to fix that then get the water tank refilled.  The plane was a 777 which had in seat entertainment which would be a good thing except it was different from other ones I have seen.  First off they were touch screens but they also had controllers on the arm of the chair. This is sort of typical except the controllers were on the top of the arm with nothing to cover them so every time I put my elbow on the arm I kept hitting the volume button which was annoying.  Secondly, you could obviously choose your movie but they were set up to run in waves instead of on demand so you either had to join one already started or wait up to 20 minutes for the next one to go.  It all worked I guess and the built in time killer of waiting for another movie to start was probably a good thing on as long a flight as it was. All in all the flight was not bad and they apparently made up a lot of time in the air so we weren’t really too late.  I watched The Pirates!: Band of Misfits as we were starting up and then I watched the Avengers cursorily as I was mostly sleeping through it a fair portion of the way.   I ate only the extras on the dinner tray but not the meal.  I managed to sleep probably about 5-7 hours of the 12+ hour flight.  DFW will never be a choice for the way to Japan again as they still went over Alaska to get there. So that had all the direction of O’Hare but longer.  Not a good way to go.  In any event I also tried to watch Battleship but I fell asleep on that and really saw less than 10 minutes of it. I really don’t think I was missing anything in that time. 

Getting into Japan the line for immigration was enormous and took about 50 minutes to an hour.   The hall was very hot for this whole wait.  My bag was obviously ready by the time I got through the line then it was on to customs which was a breeze. I found and fought with a bank machine for a few minutes until it gave me yen then bought a ticket for the Narita Express and barely got on it in time.  About an hour later I arrived at Tokyo Station where I switched lines to get to Hamamatsucho and then a short walk to the hotel where I did get twisted about (first day back, I expected it). I had been on Facebook with Marina a couple times and she was basically at the hotel when I arrived so I got checked in and cleaned up as quickly as I could.  This included a fast and cold shower because I was pouring sweat from the heat and humidity. In record pace I was back downstairs and we walked to an Izakaya named Wataminchi around the corner from the hotel. For those of you who don’t remember, an Izakaya is a bar that serves a lot of different types of foods to go along with your drinks. So items are ordered ala carte and people generally share the foods while they drink. I had a couple Asahi beers and Marina did all the food ordering. We had some vegetables and fried chicken along with yakitori and I even had some Tako (octopus sashimi). For the second round we got some cold soba noodles that were very good along with some pickled eggplant and fried chicken gizzards. The food was all really good and it was great to see Marina welcome me right back into Japan.  While we caught up we also made possible plans for the next couple days. By the time we got out of the restaurant it was already past 10pm.

From there I had to get back to the room and sort out all the unpacking that I had just tossed everywhere in my rush to not keep Marina waiting.

Overall the flights weren’t too bad though it was a very long day getting in.   I really wish I could have used my new Global Access to get into Japan as well as the US. The line for immigration was the worst part of the day. I really do not like lines…

The pictures from today can be found here.

No comments: