Wednesday, July 04, 2012

Independence Day in Boston

Today I drove down to Boston and spent the day around the town with a couple of friends, Dee and Mike. For me it was like seeing Boston as a tourist.  We met at Dee's house as she lives in Charlestown and then headed to their office which is right on the waterfront. From that vantage point we were able to see the turning of the USS Constitution which happens once a year on the 4th of July.  We also got to see several flyovers by the Blue Angels as they made their way over the Charles River.  I had never seen the turning of the Constitution before so that was very cool to me. Also the flyovers were really directly overhead so that was a lot of fun. We had a small picnic lunch as all of this happened.

After the Constitution was back in place in her new position we headed down to the piers in Southie and saw the tall ships that were there for Sail Boston There were ships from Brazil, Ecuador, Columbia and Indonesia there. Dee and I went aboard the Indonesian one and found Mike being accosted by an old guy when we got back. I wanted to leave him hanging for a bit to suffer with the guy but we did instead save him. Dee's much nicer than I am.  By this point it was getting late and we decided to find something to eat but in the long run the area around the tall ships was overrun with people and we decided to take public transportation back to North Station where we ate at The Fours. I had the fish and chips and a couple of Harpoon IPAs. They were very good and the fish was tasty.

After that we headed back to Dee's place and chatted for a while. We were going to go watch the fireworks but there were thunderstorms in the area and we were told the fireworks were going to be delayed by an hour. Due to that we opted to call it a night and as I drove home I found out the delay was exaggerated a bit. Anyway it was late and I was tired and had to work on Thursday so it was probably for the best.

Around 220 touristy pictures of my own city can be found here.

No comments: