Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Spain Day 3

I was able to start earlier than the day before by a fair bit after waking up and getting breakfast once again down at the hotel buffet. I managed to have less people there so getting toast for my ham and cheese sandwich was easier. I was not being blocked by the old guy again. Still it was basically the same except I swapped the plum for a tiny orange instead. I finished quickly and headed out. My agenda for the day was to find postage for a postcard for my nephew William, which proved to be tougher (or at least less intuitive) than I expected.  I had expected there would be a post office of some sort once the idea of perhaps having the hotel sell me postage and mailing it for me fell through. Apparently that is not the case. I had a map that suggested there were post offices somewhere. At least the map had pictures of envelopes on it so I assumed that meant post office. I didn't find anything resembling post offices where the symbols were on the map though. After wandering for about 20 minutes I gave up and figured I'd come back to the concept later. It was still around 8am or so and I figured things were still closed.

I opted to walk up the coastline to a beach area called Talamanca. It was on the map and probably not too far beyond what I'd walked out past the port the day before. It turned out there is a lengthy boardwalk that follows the beach. I walked along that all the way to the other side. It was very early so of course no one was out there in the sun. There was lots of sun but also a cool breeze. The humidity of the day before was missing as well. It was quite nice. Beyond the beach boardwalk was more rocky shoreline trails like I had found the day before. I figured that was my sort of thing so I just followed it out as far as it would let me. I am not sure on the distance but I think it took me more than 2 hours and 30 minutes at least to get to the furthest point I reached. I only turned around because it appeared I had hit dead ends on any trails I could find. There were some steep drops and a walled off area that basically prevented further passage.  I would guess I was at least half way to St Eularia (the next town up) by the time I turned back. I really didn't waste much time and just headed back into town to once again do the postage search. The weather was still very nice and breezy so I had a good walk back though there wasn't a cloud in the sky. It had the potential to be really hot out if it wasn't for the wind.  Getting back in town I tried again to find postage and after asking around a couple times and failing I basically found the tourist office and they said to go to a tobacco shop across the street in a galleria and there I was able to buy postage and mail the card. I know why I don't like doing that stuff now.  It is certainly a lot of hassle. In any event it was basically 1:30pm by the time I had accomplished the task so I figured lunch was a good idea so I headed in towards where the cafes were and chose the Madagascar Cafe. Same menu different name. I had a couple more Estrella Damms and a toasted cheese sandwich which was open face. It was reasonably good at least.

After killing some time at the cafe I opted to climb back up to the Dalt Vila and look around some more. With all the sun it was going to provide different pictures than the day before I figured. Still it was basically a lot of repeating what I had done the day before and I didn't necessarily linger a ton in any specific area. It did give me a lot of uphill to walk as well as a lot of downhill too. I think my broken in hikers from when I went to Machu Picchu are now broken and I will have to get a new pair when I get back. The heel area of the upper has finally worn out and is starting to cause chafing. Bleh. In any event I am sure I will survive this trip with them. After wandering around for a while it was getting on past 4pm. I knew I wasn't going to eat dinner so early as the night before (or at least didn't plan to) so I headed to the hotel to rest my feet for a bit before I decided to forage for food. I thought it a good idea versus trying to walk around for 4 more hours without purpose.  I will say that I am not sure how much I would like it here if it was peak season. I am sure it would be overrun with hippy druggies trying to get the music vibe that is promoted around here. Fortunately all that ends by the end of September or  maybe early October it looks and the majority of tourists aren't looking for that. The scenery is quite beautiful though. I love the rocky ocean coasts a lot. The local architecture is probably very typical Spanish but quite nice. I need to do more research on the Vila so I can speak better to it. Unfortunately the Museum of Archaeology was closed both days I was here. I suspect it is closed for the off season. Couldn't see much else that would give me information.

Back at the hotel I started to write this up then basically relax for a couple hours. I decide to watch The Green Lantern. It was bad, but not as bad as I expected. Not an endorsement. It just could have been much more painfully worse. After watching it I moved my way on to finding dinner. But first I thought I would try to catch sunset over the island. I pretty much hauled butt to get to the top of the hill where Dalt Vila is and missed the actual sunset all the same. I suspect it is because the sun was behind some hilly mountains or whatnot to the west side of the island from Eivissa.  All the same there was a little bit of color to be seen. Since there were few to no clouds I should be happy I saw anything at all I guess. When I had filled of that I worked my way back downhill and then into the streets of the city where I found a restaurant named La Caracola not too far from the marina. It already had a couple people eating there so I figured I could risk it. I had a couple glasses of red wine and the waiter suggested the seafood paella which I ordered. It was good but the shrimp were whole and not deveined so it was a mild difficulty to eat. All the same the seafood was all very fresh and tasty. There was a ton of rice so I didn't remotely finish it. I ate quite a lot though.  When I had finished I settled up and headed back to the room for the night. I sort of wanted dessert but I decided to stay off it for the sake I already ate a lot and spent a lot. At the room I finished this up and pretty much took it easy until bed.

The pictures from day 3 are located here.

No comments: