Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Washington DC

I got in to Ronald Reagan airport at about 11am but the rental place didn't have a GPS for me to rent with the car. I had already spoken to the guy around here and I wasn't really going to have anything to do today. I tried to use my iPhone with google maps to get to the hotel but it kept losing tracking of my position just before crucial turns so I ended up missing them. It was over 90 out by the time I started this by the way.  In getting lost by this method I accidentally ended up at Arlington Cemetery and decided I should make the visit and regroup. It was incredibly hot but I managed to walk just about the whole place and saw the major monuments as well as a ceremony at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.  When I was done there I again tried to navigate via iPhone to get to the hotel and it took some doing and me getting lost a couple more times before I managed it. The hotel has all sorts of construction going on on the streets just outside it. I was a bit confused on how to get there but eventually managed.  I got settled in. I won't get into the gory details online but it was as much a mess as not having a GPS. I found a cheap lunch and then headed to the Metro and rode the yellow line to L'Enfant Plaza where I toured the National Mall and Monuments on foot for a couple hours then headed back to the room where I got room service and crashed for the night.

No comments: