Friday, May 30, 2014

APAC Training Trip 2014 Day 7 - Japan Day 7

I woke up at a bit before 6 and began to make my coffee and get prepared for the day. Daniela woke up a little while later, just before I was ready to go out the door. I asked her to research a Fuji tour for Saturday for me before I left. She was already on the task as I was leaving.  I met Han in the lobby at 7:30 and we took the train to the station where we walk to the office and made it to the office by 8:30 again. I set up and the translator showed up only a little bit late. We started off the day's lecture again having the translator present which made things go a bit easier for the lecture time and the labs were starting out well before we went to lunch at 12:15.  For lunch I had a tempura fish and Chinese meatballs and vegetables along with rice and hot tea.  The food was again nothing exciting but at least filling. I probably should have skipped on the Chinese meatballs as I think it was a bit too much. We returned at 1pm to continue the labs.  We returned maybe a little bit late but continued on through the process. We did not take until 5pm for the expected lecture and labs for the day but only by half an hour so we just ended the class for the weekend there.

Daniela had left me texts at 2:30 or so saying she was going to Sunshine City. That is in Ikebukuro which is practically on the other side of the city and not remotely intuitive to get to from Asakusa so I was not at all surprised that she was not at the room when I got back from the office.  I got changed and then walked down to the 7-11 to buy a snack and some beer because I was hungry for dinner and had no idea how long she would be but I was expecting later rather than sooner. If she left right as she texted she would have been gone for around 3 hours. I am fairly certain 45 minutes minimum each way to get there would mean less than an hour and a half to see the site.  So I bought some corn bugles of a Japanese variety and a can and bottle of beer. A Yebisu Royal Selection and  Grand Kirin. I started first with the Yebisu and the bugles and started watching Japanese TV about cruise ships. After a few minutes I tried the Grand Kirin and found it very nice. It was hoppy and had good flavor. Probably the hoppiest beer I have tried in Japan. For hops fans I would suggest to give it a try if in Japan. Daniela called me at about 6:55 to say she was at Ikebukuro station and asked if I wanted to go there or have her come back. I asked her to come back because it would be a long wait in a train station for her.  I knew I had an hour at least before she arrived so I channel surfed and waited.  I found a channel which was showing really old anime and watched them. It was like watching Superfriends only worse.  Fortunately she got home just as the second one was finishing. Her trip basically amounted to going out there then going shopping for a little bit then coming back.

We walked out into Asakusa and she brought me in a direction because she had seen a couple of sumo wrestles she said. Indeed she did and we took a couple of pictures with them. The one I took of her on her camera is awesome.  After that we walked around for a bit longer till we found a Shabu Shabu restaurant and ate there. It was called Nabezo and on the 4th floor of a building across the street from the temple and down to the side a bit.  The food was good. We got to pick our vegetables. I liked the ponzu sauce much more than the sesame sauce and I think Daniela felt the same. The waiter was very pleasant and smiled all the time. I had 2 Kirin beers.  Daniela just had juice and tea.

After we finished eating we just went back to the room and called it a night.  Daniela must have been really tired because she passed out almost right away and she wasn't even the one drinking alcohol.

The pictures from Japan Day 7 are located here.

No comments: