Thursday, August 09, 2012

Japan 2012 Day 18

I guess it is good-bye Tokyo for this trip.  I woke up only a little bit later than I normally do, got cleaned up, checked all the packing to make sure it was right then headed downstairs to the breakfast room. I had my traditional toast and coffee then I walked out the door without a camera for the first time this trip. My intention was to tour the neighborhood for a few sundries to be picked up at any of the local convenience stores. I actually did quite a big double loop of the area and hit almost every store of the type I could find.  It started out cooler feeling outside but the humidity began to pick up the further along I got and it again became sweaty work, if not as bad as some other days. The sky was overcast so at least the sun wasn't creating a blazing heat at this point like it had been on most days. I can honestly say I do not envy a TSA person who might open my luggage because what is in there is fairly ripe by this point.  Even taking my time my tour was a little more than an hour long and I got back to the room still 2 hours before check-out time. The problem with needing to be packed of course is that it limits the ability to continue to get around as would be a normal vacation day and the time limit of check out time is also a block on any chance of doing something more involved. When I got back to the room I turned on the TV for only the second time in this trip and the channel was just beginning to broadcast an Olympics semi final soccer match between Mexico and Japan. I assume it was taped because the time of day in England was way off for a soccer match but I didn't know the result so I chose to watch it until it was time to get out of the room.  Surprisingly the Japanese scored first but the Mexicans did tie it up after a few minutes.  Mexico took the lead in the second half on a bad giveaway.  The Japanese just kept making too many mistakes on their attacks to really put more than a couple good chances together after that.  After the game it was time to check out and head to Tokyo Station where I figured I would get lunch and maybe shop a little bit more before heading to the airport via the Narita Express.


After leaving the hotel I took the long way around to Hamamatsucho station because I knew I would have to contend with less stairs. There are no escalators I can think of at that particular station. I boarded the Yamanote Line for the last time on this trip and rode to Tokyo Station. My flight being at 6:15pm and it only being 11:30am I was very early to head to the airport. The ride on the Narita express is something like a half an hour to 40 minutes long so I would be there far too early. I wandered to the Yaesu Central exit and went into the underground shopping area and just sort of strolled for a little while until I hit an area of restaurants and found a Yebisu Bar which was surprisingly kinyen (non-smoking). The idea of a Yebisu beer appealed to me and I decided that was where I would eat. They had a lunch menu after all.  I got in and ordered a Yebisu Hokaru (I think) and then a special hamburger meal. The beer was an amber slightly hoppy flavor with a good bitter to it.  The hamburger special consisted of a patty with a side of spaghetti and egg salad and a dish of rice. The burger had a brown sauce over it. I ate the mea l entirely with chopsticks as I had learned how to break a burger up with them recently.  It was actually quite good food although obviously not as good as the Kobe beef from the night before. Still I really enjoyed the beer and had a second before I was done.

After lunch I took another more detailed trip through the mall area until I was completely lost from where I started and eventually found my way back to the Yaesu South Entrance from outside.  I was even further south than the south Exit I think.  In any event this did a good job of killing more time so I wasn’t too concerned on it.  I found a JR ticket office and reserved a ticket using my rail pass on the 2:03 train to Narita Airport Terminal 2.  That gave me over an hour to find the platform and wait for the specific train. The platform was of course on the complete other side of the station from where I reserved my ticket so I am glad I didn’t pick a time where I had to rush. Probably I should have picked the 1:30pm train instead but all the same I was able to find one of the few benches in the train station and set up and write some portion of this before my train arrived.

The train arrived on time. It comes in two parts of 6 cars each and they connect together to make a 12 car train headed to the airport. I assume they come from different directions and then join up. It was a big event to watch for many of the passengers, seeing the trains join and the between car walkway deploy. I suppose it was pretty neat but at the same point it was more effort to get out the camera for the trick than I thought it was worth.  I didn’t realize but even the Narita Express trains have green cars so I was reserved a seat on that with  my rail pass which was nice. There was only a couple people in the car and it was quiet. I fell asleep for a bit. About 50 minutes later, it was longer than I thought and that without stops I arrived in the airport.  That made it about 3pm. I found my way upstairs to the check-in and there was literally no line at all so I just got to get checked in right away. It was strange that I got only one ticket but apparently my flight is a continuous flight number and I even have the same seat number somehow through both so I was only printed one ticket.  After checking in I walked around the pre-security mall area for a few minutes before heading into the security check which was quick and easy then on to immigration which was technically easy except for this mixed couple and their kid who held up one of 2 lines for a very long time for some reason.  After getting through immigration it was time for the shops on the other side and I did a little bit more digging around those before figuring out where my gate was. It was still more than an hour and 45 minutes to go before boarding time so I opted to hunt out some food before we took off. I knew I would not be eating the airplane food as historically it has grossed me out so I found The Asian Bowl and had a beef bowl and a large Kirin (mainly because that was what I could afford if I wanted the big beer.  I had finally spent down most all of my yen. No sense in saving it with the dollar so crappy right now.  From there I headed to the gate and had about an hour left until boarding time so I wrote a bit more of this and then relaxed to some music from my cell phone.

Boarding the flight they put me in group 4 which was basically very last to get on the plane. I figured I was going to get screwed for overhead room but apparently the flight was not full so I got lucky in that I didn’t have to stuff anything under my seat.  The plane was a 777 and as I said it was not full. Still it took longer to board than the domestic flights in Japan by far.  The movies on the plane were the exact same as on the way to Japan which of course was disappointing. At take off time I joined a showing of Thor already in progress and then followed that by another viewing of the Avengers already in progress which I slept through most of both. I again chose to not eat the hot portion of the meals not even bothering to take the packet though I took the rest of the tray and ate the sundries.  I probably slept for about two thirds of the flight and also watched The Pirates: Band of Misfits again for good measure when I woke up for  a spell. I think for the most part I had the GPS map going and would occasionally wake and see where we are and go back to sleep.  The flight wasn’t really bumpy and this time the captain did actually turn off the seatbelt sign. Overall it was an easy if long flight (though well over an hour shorter than the flight there).

Arriving in Chicago I was getting prepared for my least favorite airport. This was my first chance to use my new Global Entry access and I think if it wasn’t for that this would have been the typical miserable O’Hare experience.  The lines for passport control were incredibly long and it was clear a lot of international flights had all landed at relatively the same time. I however got to walk around the big line to use one of the completely unused row of kiosks to get into the country. The process is easy. Scan your passport bar code and let it take a picture of you. Scan your fingerprints.  Check a series of checkboxes and you are done. It prints you a receipt with your picture on it and you take that to customs.  No form to fill out or anything.  So I was the first person from my flight to the checked baggage area and also the first out. Only a couple other people were through by the time I got my bag and I am sure they had some reason for special access or Global Entry too.  So from there it was stuff some bottles into the suitcase as best I could and then hand the receipt to the customs officer who let me pass through no issue.

Of course this is where O’Hare becomes O’Hare.  The gate for my next flight was in terminal 3 and I was in 5 and I had to swap over by a tram. That wasn’t too bad but of course my flights are always out on the furthest point of any gate arm you can possibly get. I went to a security line and was told to use another because it was less crowded. The first security person said the single boarding pass I got was not going to work and I had to go back and get the appropriate one for Chicago. I knew that was going to bite me in the butt but the Japanese lady in Narita didn’t understand me well enough. So back out of that line which was really fortunately not a line at all (Thanks so much to the girl who sent me to the other) and on to the check-in counter where I fortunately only had a couple minutes wait before I got a boarding pass that would work then back on to the security line and through.  All in all it probably wasted me about 10 minutes. By the time I got to my gate boarding was going to happen in 15 minutes. I cannot see how I could have made it to my plane with the passport control lines being their size unless it was at the very final boarding call to be on time.  I know I saved a minimum of 20 minutes of line there even if I waited about 5 for my suitcase. The flight that was before us on our carousel was barely trickling through to get their bags which had all been taken off and put aside by the time the Narita bags were coming through. I am not sure how many people were trying to make the connection and if they made it to the plane or not.  Because I did have a few minutes to spare I walked back to a McDonald’s and got a quarter pounder with cheese meal and wolfed that down before they started to board.

Boarding I was again group 4 which was last to get on. This time it made no sense as I was in the very back of the plane. I would have expected to be near the front if I was going to board last. The line after ticket check was all the way up the ramp and it was a fair mess getting in. Still I was fortunate on 2 counts. The seat next to me was empty.  I had aisle as usual. And there was still enough overhead for my backpack when I got there though they were making people behind me check their roller luggage because of limited space.  Even if there wasn’t I could have used the empty seat’s foot space so I was good.  This plane was a 737 as I expected. I think it took longer for boarding than even the 777 from Narita did. I nodded off for the first bit of the flight till they came around for drinks then used the opportunity to dig out the laptop and write up a bit more of this.  The flight was mostly uneventful with a couple bumpy spots but nothing at all interesting.  We landed on time and being at the back of the plane it took forever to get off. My bag however was very early in the carousel and it was on to waiting for the Flightline van which they said was going to take about 20 minutes but really took 10.  I was the lucky one going in a different direction than all the rest and so was swapped over to a different van at Dascomb Road and then on to home. I made it there about 10:30 or so and was pretty much fully exhausted and ready for a night's sleep in my own bed.  The unpacking could wait until morning.

The pictures from today are located here.

No comments: