Monday, June 28, 2010

Jeep Jamboree Preparation

The 2010 Killington Jeep Jamboree is just over 2 weeks away and this year I went for some of the modifications to the Jeep that had been on the blueprints since I bought it.

My brother and I installed a BDS 3" coil suspension lift a couple months ago.  Actually he did most of the installing and I handed wrenches and did what I could to help out.  It took us a day to get through the main install and we had to put off the steering stabilizer install for a week because we ran out of time. Some of it was used up in getting appropriate tools to help with the job (it's always the case I think) and some of it was basic difficulties you get in these circumstances such as removing the front shocks and installing them. Speaking of shocks, instead of going BDS I opted to purchase Bilstein 5100s.  The purchase has proven to be worth every penny to me as the ride has never been smoother.  Overall the install went smoothly even if it took time.

A couple weeks ago I added the final pieces to the lift in replacing the stock Rubicon tires with GoodYear Wrangler MTR with kevlar tires (size 305/70R17). They were stupidly expensive and not my first choice. I had originally intended on installing Toyo Open Country M/T tires at 285/75R17 but apparently Toyo has some terrible business management.  They tried to move from China to Japan after the tariffs to China increased.  They found they didn't have the correct permitting to manufacture in Japan and opted to move to the USA where they do not remotely have enough capacity to manufacture for demand and I am sure odd sized tires like I was looking for are the last on their plans.  The Toyo's would have been nearly $50 cheaper each but I have to take what I can get. I am happy with the quality of the ride of the GoodYears on dry and wet pavement so far. I will report on the off road quality after the Jamboree.

Purchasing tires 2 inches larger posed a couple problems. I had to get a mounting bracket for the spare which now blocks the 3rd brake light and I needed to order new bump stops for the tailgate as the stock pieces don't remotely come close to the tires.

I took a couple pics of the Jeep including tires and mods and will try to get them posted tonight.

No comments: