Thursday, September 03, 2009

Next Trip Machu Picchu

My next trip is already around the corner and less than 2 months away. This past Denmark trip was sort of a bonus that I could indulge in because I didn't have to pay for a hotel along with the other expenses and the flight was very cheap.

I had actually planned Machu Picchu before I planned Denmark though I think some of the finishing details fell into place after I bought the plane ticket for Denmark.

The trip to Machu Picchu should not be terribly expensive, especially in comparison to some other trips. Obviously the flight is an expense and I have a couple nights of hotel to pay for plus the cost of the actual hiking tour. Still it should be a fraction of the cost I spent, say, going to France.

I found out through some research that SAS Travel Peru is considered the top choice for Inca Trail tours. I was mainly using them on the advice of a friend of a friend who said they were excellent. I got to speak to her in Denmark and she gave me some advice about what to pack and things I would need. I am going in late October as my birthday trip so the timing is a bit different from hers. She went in August last year. The weather should be a bit warmer overnight for me but there is a greater chance of rain on any given day according to Inca Trail Peru which is an independent site that gives information about the Inca Trail. I am already set up to go, but if you were ever thinking about going it has some good information about what to expect as well as the various ways you can experience the location.

I have obviously chosen to do the 4 day hike through the Inca Trail but there are shorter hike options as well as train and bus routes that get you to Machu Picchu without having to do all the fun stuff. I realized when I decided that I was going to take this trip I wouldn't have been satisfied in just riding a train to the site so I really didn't have an option to go the easy way. I am sure that I really don't understand how strenuous all the climbing is going to be but I am also fairly certain that I will be able to survive it and enjoy it.

As it is I have already started doing more strenuous workouts in preparation for the trip. On weekends I am trying to walk significant distances while carry somewhere in the tune of 40 lbs of books. It is certainly not happy on back and I have to be a bit careful about it but it does get my lungs and legs tired which is what I am looking for. The backpack I carry will be significantly lighter than these books and also have a much more comfortable feel on my back I am sure. I really need to find some stairs to climb as well. Gone are the days of working in the Prudential where I could climb from the 3rd to 25th floor in one run.

I gained weight coming out of Denmark due to the beer and food but I am sure I will not be gaining weight in Peru.

No comments: